BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2003 520I E39 BMW. Does anyone know if you leave the lighter out and flipped open does it drain your battery while the car if OFF?

Reason, I say that is because when I returned to my car yesterday I seen an orange light glowing with nothing in the cigarette lighter was it consuming power while the car was off? I am now being cautious as my car sometimes stalls at traffic lights now and again, by putting the lighter in and closing it before leaving my car.

I checked the manual it doesn't mention anything. My mechanic says as long as the car is off it wont use any power? Heard misleading things from mechanics so who better to ask than people who own these cars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I dont have anything in the lighter socket and regularly leave my cover open with no adverse effects. Was the light lit/visible from outside before you unlocked/got in the car?
Mines an e46 so potentially different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not outside too far to see it. It was visible in the dark around sunset orange light came on when nothing was in the cig lighter? I usually have a usb charger/bluetooth device plugged in/out, however used it like this for years without an issue only recently last 3 months. Could be something else, however the manual or mechanic don't know if the lighter is left empty and open does it or does it not use power juice while the car is off?

It may have been the new oil enhancer I have put into my engine supposed to be a smoother drive and increase oil consumption it could be that, however just curious and my car seems to judder and jump sometimes and stall its not as smooth as it was when I was using a cheaper engine oil smoother.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
See if you can work out where the orange light was... or was it a reflection?

It's logical with nothing in the socket, there'll be no drain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts