BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop is becoming quite slow and I'm about to remove programs from it that I don not and am not likely to use.

What I would like to know is this, is there a way in which I can transfer some of my larger programs from my laptop on to my external hard drive. I have LOADS of space on my external hard drive and at the moment it only gets used for storing my photo's.

Appreciate any advice:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Nah man , you cant run a programm from an external drive. Sorry .
I`d go through your machine and have a good clearout . Go to your run menu and type in msconfig , got to start up and see whats running on start up . All you need to be running on start up is your anti virus , and any other protection . Everything else should be unchecked. Give it a restart and see how you go .

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
You could maybe do as i do and have My Documents on your external drive too. Stuff can still be dropped into it via desktop but all contents are safe. :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Also download Ccleaner from file hippo :thumbsup
You can remove programmes from starting automatically and it cleans the registry. Excellent programme :cool
Another thing which speeded up my laptop was de-fragging the hard drive :thumbsup

·
Registered
884 Posts
Also download Ccleaner from file hippo :thumbsup
You can remove programmes from starting automatically and it cleans the registry. Excellent programme :cool
Another thing which speeded up my laptop was de-fragging the hard drive :thumbsup
Yeah, CCleaner is a good program and filehippo is an excellent site. Tons of free programs to download. I recommend GOM media player in particular. :thumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
some progs you can reinstall on the ext. drive and they should run fine. just deinstall and reinstall on the ext drive, but you will obviously have to have the ext powered up to run those progs. good for very large progs you don't use often. apart rom that, all the other tips are good ones. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.