BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and as mentioned in my first post I am looking at getting a 55/06 520D SE.

Within my budget most cars I have seen have done between 60 - 90K.
A three and a half year old car that has done this mileage will obviously have done a lot of motorway miles but is this not better than a car of the same age that has only done 30,000 to 40,000 miles as the chances are that most of these miles would have come from urban driving which puts more strain on the engine.

Just wondering what opinion more experienced BMW owners have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would have thought that if a car has done 30-40k miles in 3-4 years then it stands to reason it must have done a reasonable amount of motorway miles. It's fairly hard to clock up 10000 miles a year on local roads alone.
Personally I always look for the lowest mileage car I can afford. Just my 2cents. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really, I do about 10,000 miles a year and almost all my mileage is in London.
My trip computer says that my average MPH is about 15-17 and considering I have only got 22 MPG over the last 2 years seems to back this up.

I have no expert knowlegde if motorway miles is actually better for prolonged engine life its only what I have heard.

·
Banned
478 Posts
The reason motorway mileage is considered better than town mileage, is the constant changing gears, changing speeds and accelerating that town driving brings. This increases wear on the engine, gearbox, driveline in general, brakes etc... Thats why id buy a motorway mileage car over a town driven car any day.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Not really, I do about 10,000 miles a year and almost all my mileage is in London.
My trip computer says that my average MPH is about 15-17 and considering I have only got 22 MPG over the last 2 years seems to back this up.
Get a motorbike, mate. Far, FAR better option in London. No congestion charge, cheap or free parking, easier to park, mega acceleration, filter thru queues, much cheaper on fuel AND tax, the list is endless.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
High mileage is fine, so long at its been maintained! Mileage these days to be honest is nothing for many cars (or quite a number of older cars for that matter!)

I'd start get cautious when recorded service intervals are further apart than what they should have been, the odd service is missing etc. With miles, some cars start to get neglected, but some are cherised so just got to ensure you get a good one thats been cared for rather than used as a 'tool'.

·
Banned
478 Posts
High mileage is fine, so long at its been maintained! Mileage these days to be honest is nothing for many cars (or quite a number of older cars for that matter!)

I'd start get cautious when recorded service intervals are further apart than what they should have been, the odd service is missing etc. With miles, some cars start to get neglected, but some are cherised so just got to ensure you get a good one thats been cared for rather than used as a 'tool'.
yeah, i agree with that, My old scimitar had 130,000 miles on the clock! it was 1977 model with the 3 litre ford essex engine in it, and never needed a rebuild, it was well maintained and i changed the oil/filter every 4000 miles.

If you see a car with 100,000+ mileage on it, try to gain as much history about the car as possible, stamps and receipts. And spend as much time test driving as you can.

100,000 miles is a psychological barrier, more cars will be sold with 90,000 miles than 105,000 miles for example. We dont drive in austin a35s or ford cortinas anymore, so engines will last longer that 60,000 miles, but there loss is your gain because as mentioned above, cars with higher mileage will be cheaper!:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
My car's 14 years old and has done 130,000 miles. My advice is mileage can be fine if there's plenty of history (mine had loads of work done about 15-20,000 miles ago).

If there's no history, the car might not have had a service for the last five years :jaw-dropping in which case, you can bet it's about to cost you alot of money.

So far as BMW's go, they've got a good rep for reliability and over-engineering, so don't worry too much about the miles. Just buy the best condition, lowest miles and most history car you can afford - you can't go far wrong then.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
So far as BMW's go, they've got a good rep for reliability and over-engineering, so don't worry too much about the miles. Just buy the best condition, lowest miles and most history car you can afford - you can't go far wrong then.
But its exactly this reason that such cars can easily get negelected and fall into the wrong hands, hence why buying a car witha spot on history is a must, at least you knows its had the money spend on it as and when required.

I went to see an 01 Merc C32 AMG, had been told its got 132,000miles but FBMWSH. When I saw the car's histor book, after 80,000miles, the car had was starting to get serviced circa 20/25,000miles, but only having the basic and cheapest service at Mercedes, so not according to schedule at all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guy's.

It seems most agree that a high mileage car is not a problem as long as it has been well maintained.

GordonJ - in response to your advice I am scared of riding a motorbike so this will never be an option, also I drop my wife of at her work each morning.

Cheers

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
But its exactly this reason that such cars can easily get negelected and fall into the wrong hands, hence why buying a car witha spot on history is a must, at least you knows its had the money spend on it as and when required.
Definitely, service history is the way to go, regardless of the car's age.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i had a 3 series coupe that had clocked up 137,000 miles with an auto box, part history, i use to drive it everyday, it started first time everytime with the engine at most only turning over twice, fautless drive and never failed a mot or needed anything really changing! fantastic!!
value for money i would go for a high mileage car anytime, good choice out there, and to be honest i think that longer journeys (i.e motorway etc) give the car more chance of warming up than smaller 20min drives. most cars i have seen in our toyota garage that have come in on breakdown tend to be the lower mileage cars, not always but the majority of the time

·
Banned
478 Posts
i had a 3 series coupe that had clocked up 137,000 miles with an auto box, part history, i use to drive it everyday, it started first time everytime with the engine at most only turning over twice, fautless drive and never failed a mot or needed anything really changing! fantastic!!
value for money i would go for a high mileage car anytime, good choice out there, and to be honest i think that longer journeys (i.e motorway etc) give the car more chance of warming up than smaller 20min drives. most cars i have seen in our toyota garage that have come in on breakdown tend to be the lower mileage cars, not always but the majority of the time
Exactly, 10-20 minute drives will do more damage than good, especially if it is regular, that doesnt mean your car will give up at 40,000 miles but there is more chance of money being spent in the long run, what castrol tell us is true, most engine wear occurs when you first turn the key, because oil pressure has'nt built up and proper oil circulation has'nt taken place. So if the car regularly goes down the shop and back....

you can start to see why a 100,000+ motorway miles and a good history seems the better option. :thumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts

I went to see an 01 Merc C32 AMG, had been told its got 132,000miles but FBMWSH. When I saw the car's histor book, after 80,000miles, the car had was starting to get serviced circa 20/25,000miles, but only having the basic and cheapest service at Mercedes, so not according to schedule at all!

:confused lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends where they have been doing the mileage. 100k motorways miles by a smooth driver would be fine, a 100k town car will have had a hard life ( not getting up to working temperature, lots of stop /start driving, speedhumps, traffic-light races :frown ). All German cars are fine for big miles if well looked after - our local taxi firm love mercs :cool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.