BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sum total of car maintenance runs to topping up tyre pressure, topping up oil and changing an air filter.

My coolant light was on so I topped it up yesterday. Started the car this morning and checked the coolant and this was happening.I mixed it as per instructions, have I massively done something wrong here? Any advice appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
369 Posts
My sum total of car maintenance runs to topping up tyre pressure, topping up oil and changing an air filter.

My coolant light was on so I topped it up yesterday. Started the car this morning and checked the coolant and this was happening.I mixed it as per instructions, have I massively done something wrong here? Any advice appreciated thank you! View attachment 273009
Looks like an overflow? Wipe the area clean and make sure the cap is on tight and see if it’ll do it again after driving

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiped it clean, went for a little drive, still bubbling over. The float wasn’t at max when I filled it so I’m not sure I could have overflowed it. It appears to be bubbling out of that bleed valve (which I only know thanks to Google!)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wiped it clean, went for a little drive, still bubbling over. The float wasn’t at max when I filled it so I’m not sure I could have overflowed it. It appears to be bubbling out of that bleed valve (which I only know thanks to Google!)
As you have mentioned that the float is not at max, there could be air inside. Once the coolant gets to temperature the air expands in the tank. Is the car running ok after you taken it for a drive? Is the coolant temp ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is running fine, I’m going to take it out for a longer drive and check then. How would I know if the coolant temp is ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alternatively when you filled it, run it for a bit without the cap on to ensure all air is expelled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Car is running fine, I’m going to take it out for a longer drive and check then. How would I know if the coolant temp is ok?
Access your hidden menu if you don’t have the gauge in the cluster. Coolant temp should be between 75C -105C when operating

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amber coolant light has come back on, guessing this is more than just an overfilling problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not. This might be a very stupid question but does the coolant effect the car heaters? Mine haven’t been working all winter, just been out for a long drive and they are suddenly working fine!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Definitely not. This might be a very stupid question but does the coolant effect the car heaters? Mine haven’t been working all winter, just been out for a long drive and they are suddenly working fine!
Yes, coolant affects the heater for blowing out warm air into the car

·
Registered
42 Posts
is the seal still on the cap??? Also when you say "mixed" it....most coolants are just pour in? What car is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fingers crossed the seal has just fell off the cap,obviously check all around under the tank or wherever you placed the cap while topping up just in case its there??? Suck eggs n all that but you never know.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Do you use the car only occasionally? And which model do you have? White sludge on the valve cover is very common, but on the reservoir cap IMHO! Not so common, unless the car has stood for a while and only done short trips.

My advice would be get new bleed screws and a new cap, they are not that expensive!
And I do not know which 3 series you have but on mine (e46 330Ci m54) when the engine is cold and the cap is removed, then the engine is started there is a steady stream of coolant which streams into the reservoir. That shows that the waterpump is working.
Your car would also be happier with a coolant change, it is very brown/yellow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve not been using it much at all since Covid, working from home and only short trips to the shops and back. I’m going to Google coolant change and see if I think I could do it.
I was going to order a new cap but then through googling found out I have not one but two recalls on my car from BMW. I need to call them tomorrow and take the car in. Maybe get them to check whilst it’s there

1 - 20 of 26 Posts