BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 335d E90 lovers. I am looking for a workaround on a failed smog test due to the DPF for my 2011 335d. It’s very expensive and mandatory here in California. Is there anyway to clean this out to buy me a little more time on the filter?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
If your DPF is still in place it should not fail the smoke test. If it's clogged it will show as power restriction when it's not flowing thru properly. Have you checked the fault codes and DPF back pressure with diagnostics? Are the basic stuff like engine temp as it should? DPF regeneration needs at least 75 C coolant temp and failing thermostats are very common in these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your DPF is still in place it should not fail the smoke test. If it's clogged it will show as power restriction when it's not flowing thru properly. Have you checked the fault codes and DPF back pressure with diagnostics? Are the basic stuff like engine temp as it should? DPF regeneration needs at least 75 C coolant temp and failing thermostats are very common in these.
Thanks for the device. I’ll purchase an OBD reader and find out the specific faults. Basically, in CA if any fault shows that had anything to do with emissions, they fail you. I’ve had recent issues with EGR and power suppression, but we cleared that up. Engine temp if fine and the power is top row. Thanks for the coolant advice. I’ll flush it and make sure it’s at the correct Celsius rating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts