BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a newbie here. I am in the process of opting out from the company car scheme. And all things considered, I have shortlisted and in the market looking for a F07 5 series GT. Particularly a 535d or 535i.

Any suggestions on what to look out for when doing the test drives?.

Also I see pretty much every 5 GT has a Comfort to Sport Switch. Does that mean that all 5GT came with VDC as standard? and will allow to change the suspension https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ settings from soft to firm or is this a simple throttle and steering control changes and not suspension change switch.

I test drove a 535d GT M sport on 20" wheels a few weeks back, and felt the ride was a bit on firm side, although the comfort setting helped a bit, but not much noticeable difference. is this normal with the F07s?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello. I currently am on my second F07 in 3 years and can’t talk highly enough of it. My first one was a 2014 530d M sport with non M sport suspension from factory and a couple of options that included upgraded sound and adaptive xenons with high beam assist.
Had it for 2 years and enjoyed it very much. Only issue I had was knocking from the steering rack, which got done under warranty from seller so no idea how much it cost.
Last year I was looking on Autotrader with no intention of buying like you do and stumbled across a 2017 535d Luxury GT with £9k of options and only 43k miles for a very enticing price so it’s fair to say you can guess what I’m driving now.

VDC is not standard, although I seem to think in sport there is less roll in the corners so it may have adaptive roll bar.
535i v 535d is very much a choice of availability, budget and mileage that you cover. 530d is the sweet spot for power and economy, but oh my is the 535d on a different planet when it comes to power. On paper doesn’t seem like a big jump but it feels it, especially in gear acceleration.
Can’t comment on M sport suspension as I haven’t driven any with it, but the standard is more than adequate in sport mode with less roll.
My 530 was on 19s and the 535 is on 20s. It does make a difference so if you’re after comfort try and get one with 19s or take the runflats off if you fancy that. I personally stick to runflats.

Another thing to note, if going diesel make sure the EGR recall has been done, or get it done as soon as. The valve sits on the front of the engine and you will be able to tell if it’s been done as it will look new still. The original campaign was just a check to see if it’s failing. On my 530 it started failing after the initial recall and I was getting exhaust fumes in the cabin (went in for diags at main dealer and got changed foc and bmw covered diags), on the 535 it got changed for a new one completely as they changed the recall instructions for dealers.

Lastly, a diesel is better suited to this type of car. Makes for an effortless drive and doesn’t bite your head off for fuel. I stick by this car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts