BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this. What do you think about buying fairly expensive cars off of ebay? If the car still has manufacturers warranty and they guarantee it to be fault free, if when you show it it's not as specified can you tell them where to stick it? Also, how much can go wrong with the car if it's still got manufacturers warranty?

Basically, I'm looking at putting an offer in on: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330296491939&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

It's a very long way to head to see the car, which has me a bit worried as I don't really have the time to do that. Esp if they aren't willing to move a bit on the price. I'd almost like to know what price they'd be willing to pay then see the car to determine if it is in the condition that they say it is - though that seems a bit counter intuitive, as do most things with buying a car off of ebay.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Personally I'd still always view the vehicle first. However, if a vehicle is not as described IIRC you do have the right to decline the purchase.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd agree that it's worth seeing the car first, but you will see lots of cars listed on ebay as well as other sites like autotrader. Many dealers just seem to use ebay as another way of reaching potential customers so all their normal conditions will apply as far as warranties etc.

Remember also that if it is a dealer selling, I think you have an automatic right to a three month warranty under consumer law, especially if any fault was/would likely to have been present at the time of sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
470 Posts
In all honesty - for that kinda money - I would need to see the goods - it is afterall a major purchase, if you want to see how much you should be paying the try wisebuyers or autotrader for a price comparison. Have a look what the car is worth retail/private good/private av/private poor (condition) and trade in values - look at what you want to pay and then just ask the seller if he is prepared to accept your offer. It is a buyers market afterall.

Just remember that anything mechanical can go wrong at anytime - the manufacturers warranty is a comfort blanket but not a guarantee of condition. When i bought mt 525d SE (2001) it had a year left on the warranty - and I had to send it in for some work which was good as it was covered.

When I was about to buy the car I rang BMW to ask about the car and if any work had been carried out under warranty as it had FBMWSH etc etc (and the dealer had said it had not had any major works carried out) oh surprise surprise it had a new engine fitted under warranty at 42K!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts