BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i am currently looking into buying an E93 in either 325i or 330i form.

looking around the £6k mark with really no more than 70k miles from 2006-2008 and there seems to be quite a few floating around at this price which i still find unbelievable.

is there anything i should be specifically looking for when looking at these cars?

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a 2.5ltr e92 325i. It's a peach of an engine but really needs revving to get it to shift, you may prefer a 330i for that reason. When I change I'm going to look for a 3.0 325i or 330i as from about 2008 on you get more torque and better economy (haha I know!). My current car has only partial svc history but according to my local trusted garage is in great condition. If you go manual check the clutch out, mine judders occasionally but thankfully doesn't slip, else you're looking at a £1k bill as it possibly has a dmf as my 2.5 does.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 325's I am looking at are 218 bhp, 57 plates i think this is the 3 litre variant. I'm not fussed about transmission but would edge towards an auto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the 325's I am looking at are 218 bhp, 57 plates i think this is the 3 litre variant. I'm not fussed about transmission but would edge towards an auto.
Mines a 57, but its the 218bhp 2.5 N52 engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah so a bit of digging reveals the one im seeing advertised its a 3 litre according to DVLA. so is the 3litre engine the N53? is this a safer/better option to go for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ah so a bit of digging reveals the one im seeing advertised its a 3 litre according to DVLA. so is the 3litre engine the N53? is this a safer/better option to go for?
I can't help you on that I'm afraid as I've no experience of the 3ltr...I'm interested in the other responses though

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's the later 3.0L N53 in both 325i and 330i.

You may want to hear feedback from owners of this model.. there are several owners active on this forum.

Your journey with this car will depend if service cars DIY or plan to go garage? Can be a nice motor if you good with tools.

This is the most recent from a owner
https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f125/changing-injectors-n53-330i-t564871/

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes the N53 has had some issues, but they are well documented and by now most cars still on the road will have been fixed, either by previous owners encountering problems or by BMW recall/service enhancement. If injectors fail, it can be expensive as you will need to replace all six. However the latest iteration (version 11) are proving pretty reliable as far as I can tell.

Main difference between 325i and 330i with N53 is that the latter has a three-stage induction system (which can give issues of its own from ingested swirl flaps). As a 325i owner I'm biased, but a 200+bhp three litre petrol engine giving 40+mpg on a run and 500+ mile range on a full tank is pretty amazing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the N53 has had some issues, but they are well documented and by now most cars still on the road will have been fixed, either by previous owners encountering problems or by BMW recall/service enhancement. If injectors fail, it can be expensive as you will need to replace all six. However the latest iteration (version 11) are proving pretty reliable as far as I can tell.

Main difference between 325i and 330i with N53 is that the latter has a three-stage induction system (which can give issues of its own from ingested swirl flaps). As a 325i owner I'm biased, but a 200+bhp three litre petrol engine giving 40+mpg on a run and 500+ mile range on a full tank is pretty amazing!
I suppose that may be true as the cars are 12 years old give or take. it will be a weekend/dry day only car to replace my Mk3 MX-5 that i am currently trying to sell, the car is a hoot to drive but i would like something bigger and the E93 ticks all the boxes. The only BMWs im familiar with are the F10 520d and F10 M5/6 (family and friend owned). A friends mum also had an e93, it was brand new back in 2010 but it was a 320d and from what i can remember there were no issues at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A good 330i in manual MSPORT form is a rare beast, lots more 325i's about and they re-map to 260+ bhp.

Yeah i have my aye on a blakc 330i manual with 70k on the clock. only thing pushing me away is it has no iDrive. i do think the Auto would be nicer to drive

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah i have my aye on a blakc 330i manual with 70k on the clock. only thing pushing me away is it has no iDrive. i do think the Auto would be nicer to drive
My 330i has an Auto and it is quite nice on daily basis. Smooth gear changes in normal auto mode and sharp in sport mode.
It does feel sluggish or muted sometimes though but then you can just switch it into Sport mode and use paddles for gear changes.

I would love to try my car with the manual transmission but as chocka pointed out, they are extremely rare.

Perhaps have a go in both and see which one you prefer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not engine related, but you said e93, so open the boot, check under the trim on the right where the battery is for water.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a 57 plate E93 325i (3 litre engine) which has done 52000 miles and is a pleasure to own. No specific problems (other than the ABS controller failing at 40K), it just seems to keep going. Very quiet, very smooth, still drives well. The wind deflector works well up to 80+. Thought about updating but to be honest it's so good it's not worth spending the money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A good 330i in manual MSPORT form is a rare beast, lots more 325i's about and they re-map to 260+ bhp.

No offense here, but I won't believe a n/a bmw engine remaps to 40+bhp (or to frame it correctly what is a +20% performance increase) even if you showed me the dyno reading. At best you'd be getting 10-15 bhp at the wheel and there's a reason for that, bmw has pretty good engines and they are pretty well engineered so it's not necessary to limit them that much electronically.

Had that been a 335i or something turbocharged, a diesel maybe then sure, I'd be much more inclined to believe it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts