BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Buying BMW 320d E90: How to find the difference between 163BHP and 177BHP?

21K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sparkrace22 
#1 ·
Hi Gents,

After driving CLK200K 06 Reg for the last 3 years I am moving on to BMW 320D e90. I am looking particularity to buy a 177BHP model.

I understand that starting from 57Reg these cars go with 177BHP unit. However there are some which also have older engines. I have two cars to view this weekend and hope someone can help me understand how to differentiate visually a 177 from 163?

I got pictures of engine bays of both cars. Could you please advice which of these is a 177bhp model?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Family car

First Pic: a car with 08 Reg

Second Pic: a car with 57 Reg, car dealer says it is a 177bhp as well. However tax for this car is £118 per 6 month.

I am a bit lost and hope to get some help.

Many thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
I couldn't help you visually, but a couple of thoughts if I was in your situation.

I would do any of these.

Call BMW and quote VIN number (reg plate would probably do) and they should be able to tell you. You can get this from car or V5

Find out what Co2 each one emits and cross reference with the V5 (assuming their different)

therefore even better.

V5 has a "max net power section P2." Convert it from kw to bhp. So for example for my 325ci I have 141 kw listed. If I convert it is 192bhp.

So following that logic through, you want a car with 130 kw listed on V5. NOT 119

#7 ·
2008. 320d MSport

One of the simple & most easiest way I think is the pre face uplift model, is the lesser Bhp
Mine is the uplift model 177Bhp the wheel arches are slightly flared, and the grill is certainly different, mine is the slimline grill, the earlier model is thicker on the top.
The rear winkers dont have the whitle lens and the front winkers are different.

Another main factor is the pre lift model is slightly smaller not as wide and not quite as long.

The exhaust pipe is different it is straight, whereas the earlier model is bent down.

Hope this helps you to distinguish them easily on the forecourts!

#8 ·
177 vs 163

I'm pretty sure the 177 has the straight out, oval exhaust pipe. The 163 has the bent down pipe... Both of these are assuming pre facelift with heavier grille and white reversing triangles. My 57 plate e91 has 177 and stop-start engine, denoted by small row of buttons below aircon contol. Most 163 didnt have this. 177 has DPF filter which makes for lower road tax of £110 vs £140 for non DPF 163 bhp. The dpf can be a pain if not motorway driven, im told. The newer facelift models soon went up to 184bhp on the 320d...say 10 plate on. 08 reg should ensure 177 but november 57 plate was change date.

#12 ·
WOW! Thanks a lot for so many replies. It now makes sense to me.

The car on the second picture has indeed bent down exhaust pipe. Both cars are located 120 miles away each from my home so this saves me lots of time this Saturday as I do not need to go to view the car with older engine.

Out of interest, what would you advice to look for when buying 320d e90 177bhp? Any advices?

#15 ·
The car I am looking to see tomorrow (ad hope to buy) was first registered on 24/06/2008 (08 Reg).
Any way I can check condition of engine, exhaust system, filters, etc?

#16 ·
Matt got there before me, I doubt there would be anyway to check engine condition but with that date you have posted then you maybe ok, I wouldn't take that as gospel though. If you have a mechanic friend or just somebody to go with you then that adds confidence if you wish to pull covers off to check filters, seals, etc. If I see a car (and like some people here) i take a friend and I pull the car to bits to see its not a dud.

#18 ·
Are these cars UK built? How much time approx. it takes for the car between manufacturing plant and being registered at DVLA? What is TC and CS?

The car I am about to view tomorrow has done 79K and has 7 BMW Sytner service stamps with the last one done at 77k. Would these services address TC and CS?

#19 ·
OH OKAY ;-) timing chain and crack shaft

#20 ·
Germany, I believe. But VIN will begin with code for country manufacture. My 325 is German built.

If you want to know when manufactured, I'm sure BMW will tell you if you give then VIN. Date of manufacture, rather than first registration, I believe is used for recalls for example so must be on record.

And/or Why not check with Sytner if the TC/CS have been replaced.

I doubt otherwise you'd get definitive answer for timescale between DOM and DOFR, because surely it varies. I've certainly seen BMW cars sitting around in fields in Europe, but then my old man's car was build to order and shipped and therefore narrow window.

#21 ·
Hi Guys,
I purchased that car eventually - BMW 320D 2008 Auto 177bhp. Luckily my miles trip to Liverpool was not in vein. I am very happy with the purchase and price negotiated.
A few things noticed so far:
On my way back home i have done 190 miles by Motorway roads going between 70-80 mph and spent £20. Average diesel consumption was 45mpg. However on the analogue indicator it was fluctuating between 45 and 60.
I reset stats and drove car yesterday approx 80 miles around town/A roads/Motorway/traffic in London - now it shows 36mpg on average - mine is Auto gearbox. I am pretty impressed with the consumption compared to 24mpg on my CLK 200K. Just was wondering if you are achieving similar or higher figures on your gizmos?

#23 ·
That`s what I`ve done yesterday. Filled in full tank - let`s see how many miles will it return in a mixed mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.