BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Buying an E46 325i SE????

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  b_kennedy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. Going to look at my first BMW tomorrow and have found a nice E46 325i SE. Unfortunately it has done 130k and the guy says he has most history. I'm assuming that it will be ok as long as it has had some sort of regular oil change etc. I know absoloutely nothing about BMW's as I have come from Fords.

Any help and advice on what to look for would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
130000 miles isn't that high for a BMW engine, they are pretty good at munching the miles up, ask him what work has been done to it while he has owned it, you could get a HPI check done on it also http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/.

Things to look out for, rear trailing arm bushes split and cause a clunking when going over bumps, the earlier e46s split the floor where the subframe bolts up to also causing a clunk and making the rear sit low, rear suspension road springs break on them also causing them to look low on the back, front lower control arm bushes get weak, water pumps can give out fairly easy, see here also http://www.windigoauto.com/E46CommonProblems.html

#3 ·
what year is it? and how much is he asking i brought my 52 plate e46 330 cis 2 years ago for £11k with 60k now its got arround 75k miles and is probably worth arround £8k so my advice is search auto trader for similar comparison of the car your after and get a general understanding of how much u can expect to pay. also u say it has most history is it full BMW service history or has he taken it to local garrages... as that will bring price down if its not full bmwsh most bmw's have a 3 service log 1st is lights and levels... thats the cheepest then there is the 2nd inspection then finnaly the most expencive one full inspection/service u say he had the oil changed thats probably means he had the lights and levels checked.. or something to that standard. hope this info helps...
also i know these little details can be a pain to find out and ask but it can bring the price down on a sale by quite a bit if your willing to put in the time and haggle.

#4 ·
Dont know if i'm allowed to post links but if you got to southfield cars on google then look at stocklist it the second one down!

To be honest I haven't got the cash. I got a 54 plate Ford C-max which i bought for mrs and I have ended up with it and it not my thing so was looking for an exhcange. the p/x on mine is 3800 and private is 4500 i think, so he laughing if i decide to do it.

He said it got some history but dont know exactly what until tomorrow. I'm not sure whether to even go look at it to be honest. I really like it but just not sure and dont wanna have to pay out soon. I know 2 guys who work for BMW and do cheap servicing so that no prob.

Do you know if there chain or belt?

Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
See what the leather binder has... Some past MOTs may verify the mileage...
It may well have the service book and be missing some stamps, so check that. If theres some does it backup the mileage?

Also, check the oil level and coolant level before starting the car....it may catch the dealer out.

If the oils dark black....it may not have been changed in a whille...if its lighter brown, it sounds clean. if the coolant is very low (under min / max) walk away.

Check the car starts and runs quietly from COLD (check the engines not been warmed b4 u arrived bu putting hand on the bonnet)

lastly, dont be cajoled into PXing a nice car for peanuts and taking the 'only' px on offer as you dont mind the car!!

Ive been there done that and regretted it!

Check the drivers seat is not worn...
Check the rubber pedal covers, they should be worn but not shiny.

Check the steering wheel is not very shiny.

Check body shut lines are the same on both sides...check the doors line up and close correctly.

Check for rust around the wheel arches or signs of repainting (run your finger down the edge of a panel if your suspect....overspray or a rough edge (due to masking off) signify its had paint))

On test drive, put it in 4th (Im assuming its manual) on a dual carriageway at say 45mph and floor it until 75 ish Check the power delivery is as expected....
That will verify the clutch is ok.

Good luck and keep us posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.