BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for a 5 series(e60).

I have 8-9.5k to spend depending on if i use my P/X.
I have seen 520SE manual, sat nav no leather for 9.5K 05/05 at non-bmw dealer with 50k miles.

I'd prefer to have 530SE since mpg is not much diff not sure why?
Which options are important, i thought leather, auto, sat nav was good for resale and colour.

?

Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Not really sure what the basic specs and options are, but i wouldn't be suprised if BMW are still listing everything as an optional extra :mad

The MPG is probably due to the fact its a much more powerful engine and therefore you don't need to press on hard to waft along.

- Leather is a must on such luxury orientated cars.
- Sat-nav is a common enough on previous models so a modern car of such calibre should have it too.
- Xenon/HID lights (whatever was fitted) is a must as as well- Automatic is most desireable the bigegr the car and engine.
- Msport pack makes the cars much more attractive and desireable at resale

Other than this I'd expect they are fitted with cruise control, climate control, dipping mirrors etc

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The early E60's had some really flimsy trim, just be careful for wear.

IMO the 520's was a really smooth engine, but expect pace to be leisurely, they don't so much accelerate as gather speed.

A lot of them are poverty spec, as they were often lease purchases and were specced by their users on price to hit a budget. Metallic was a no-cost option on 530 and above so these tend to be in better colours.

All have air-con, but sub 530, they had manual air-con/climate as opposed to the full digital read out.

Early E60's were available with some puny wheels and tyres, 16's in some cases and these look lost in the arches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your informative advice guys,
I test drove a 530 SE yesterday at BMW dealer. It was an automatic and was specced right ..leather, auto, grey, ave mileage. sat nav etc. But the price was 13k out of my budget really. I told the dealer i wanted to see which engine was for me so he was Ok for me to test drive. He's looking for a 9-10K similar car but older maybe.

I think i would have to go for either a 525 SE or 530SE. My mileage is only 4-5k a year so does it make sense in buying a diesel? I mean driving wise i used to have a W211 E270 CDI and the torque was more than adequate. A 525d or 520d would also be something i would look at..but price wise i think they will be out of my budget? The problem is I will only drive for short journeys only..mostly 5-6 miles at a time.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Petrol v Diesel with the mileage that you are doing should not be an issue, but a matter of preference. IMO, unless you are doing a hell of a lot of miles then petrol tends to be the preferred choice.

Also, with a 5 series, you do want the 530 at the very least, the extra grunt will make all the difference and probably turn out to be as economical (if not a bit more) than the likes of the 525 models.

With short journeys, just remember that the oil will need changing much more frequently at the very least. Some believe that its best to jump in the car and give it a run at the weekend as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Petrol v Diesel with the mileage that you are doing should not be an issue, but a matter of preference. IMO, unless you are doing a hell of a lot of miles then petrol tends to be the preferred choice.

Also, with a 5 series, you do want the 530 at the very least, the extra grunt will make all the difference and probably turn out to be as economical (if not a bit more) than the likes of the 525 models.

With short journeys, just remember that the oil will need changing much more frequently at the very least. Some believe that its best to jump in the car and give it a run at the weekend as well.
Why would it need changing more often? How often do you mean?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Even the handbooks state that if cars are used for short trips, they need to be serviced more frequently. Somehow I'm assuming the oil degrades faster etc. This aspect is more for the mechanic experts.

I always change my oil every 3 months/2,000miles on anyting I tend to use for short trips on a daily basis. As a result the engines have always sounded sweet, and the cars ran lovely regardless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only changed oil with service and thats yearly on my Honda. I do 4-5k/year
Sometimes service can be 1-2years as they're done every 12k/miles.
I was told Honda's do not use much oil.

In the 4 years ownership its had 2 major service and probably 2-3 oil changes if that. The engine never misses a beat.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I've only changed oil with service and thats yearly on my Honda. I do 4-5k/year
Sometimes service can be 1-2years as they're done every 12k/miles.
I was told Honda's do not use much oil.

In the 4 years ownership its had 2 major service and probably 2-3 oil changes if that. The engine never misses a beat.

When tolerances are tight, such as an instance when the engine is cold the oil is effectively working harder. Additionally, carbon build ups and moisture from cold starts will contaminate the oil. This will be visible from the colour of the oil on your dipstick, it may well be black as opposed to golden.

Oil has improved consistently over time, however, every car benefits from regular oil changes.

I used to change the oil on my bike for instance after every track day, maybe only 100 miles of use, but all at high revs/engine load which puts oil under strain. Cold starts/short journeys puts strain on oil too.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
oil that never reaches optimum temperature (between 90-100 degrees c) will have excess moisture build up.this results in the oil emulsifying and loosing its load bearing capabilities.
the process is irreversible and the only recourse is to change the oil more often on an engine used mainly for short journeys.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Thanks for your informative advice guys,
I test drove a 530 SE yesterday at BMW dealer. It was an automatic and was specced right ..leather, auto, grey, ave mileage. sat nav etc. But the price was 13k out of my budget really. I told the dealer i wanted to see which engine was for me so he was Ok for me to test drive. He's looking for a 9-10K similar car but older maybe.

I think i would have to go for either a 525 SE or 530SE. My mileage is only 4-5k a year so does it make sense in buying a diesel? I mean driving wise i used to have a W211 E270 CDI and the torque was more than adequate. A 525d or 520d would also be something i would look at..but price wise i think they will be out of my budget? The problem is I will only drive for short journeys only..mostly 5-6 miles at a time.
Hi Adam, as a current E60 530d owner here is my 2p worth.

I would be very reluctant to go anything less than a 530 for diesel, 525 maybe, but it's maybe a budget preference.

I wouldn't be looking at a diesel for the amount miles you do, you'd be far cheaper going for petrol considering current fuel prices.

I am not sure of the prices but you may be hard pushed to find an E60 within budget from dealers. Maybe try private if that is an option....

Hope you find what you want. Red!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Adam, real long shot here for you.

There is a 525d Sport auto, 2006/06, Carbon black, tan leather, no nav, 44k miles going through BCA Measham tomorrow.
It was my neighbours, lease company has it going through tomorrow, they reckon it will go for £10/11k. You may be able to bid by phone, not sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mark for the info,
I've never bought at Auctions and seem to prefer the warranty from dealers. I have only ever bought cars from main dealers(Honda, renault. Mbz). So my guess is I'm not going to get a bargain. Even if i buy privately i would need RAC inspection or some warranty to be put by BMW dealer later. How much is a BMW warranty bought after you buy the car privately. Is it worth the price or do most people not bother.

I have seen a 530SE MANUAL 70k MILES 2 OWNERS, black LEATHER/SAT NAV/XENONS 53 pLATE FOR 10K. THE COLOUR IS OLIVIN...what do you think of this colour. TRADE PRICE COMES TO 7K due to mileage.

There is also a 520 SE manual Xford green metallic ii for 9k with leather but 45k miles.
Trade comes to 7.6k up for 9k.
The 520SE is a better deal but 520 engine puts me off.

Both are BMW approved.
There is one that 30 day warranty (parts labour) for 10k. Its
530SE auto leather, sat nav 55k miles, its from a Jag dealer. I have to buy extra warranty. However trade price comes to 9k before march glass guide is out. they will only take 10k, have offered everything else.

Decisions, decisions..........

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
30 day and aftermarket warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, best to spend that money on a professional vehicle inspection to see if its all good or not.

Main dealers, to my knowledge won't offer their used car warranty on a vehicle that is not sold by them. In many cases, these warranties are not that good either as they'll cover something very unlikely and everything else will be put down to wear and tear. Its not like a buy and forget as you would get on a brand new car. In addition the main dealers will wriggle out of pretty much all warranty work that's a bit costly.

(I bought a 95 M5 from BMW approved cars when it wa sbout 2 years old and only 15,000miles. Upon purchasde I'd negotiated that they supply the car with 2 years warranty, as you'd get on a new car for the asking price, which they agreed. After purchase I felt the engine was a bit down on power. BMW insisted there was nothing wrong for a while. After I got proof from Munich Legends re; lack of power, BMW insisted that I'd need a new engine at a cost of £18,000. They told me everyting is down to wear and tear etc and my warranty would not cover it. This resulted me in persuing legal action (an approved car with 15,000 miles, maintained according to schedule should not need a new engine, especially if it cost £39K!). BMW decided/agreed to do the work under 'good will' after communcations from my solicitor. All this took 6 months! I was beyond livid! crap service, every trick in the book to retract the warranty in their favour and £39K to drive a f*cking 530d for 6 months whilst the M5 was in their garage as they treid to replace the engine in sections before realising that they'd have no option but to order a complete unit from Germany as their top/bottoms ends would not fit :mad )

If you want a warranty, make sure you read the small print, ask all the 'what if' questions you like etc to find out if they will genuinely provide the cover you wish or need the reassurance of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That must have been painful driving a 530d......after an M5. But then again many of us haven't experienced a 530d.....I have test driven one 4 yrs ago.

It seems to me warranties are just that...u may be lucky and they'll cover it...but BMW approved probably more comprehensive.....u don;t have to have it serviced by them like Mbz do u?

It costly to repair BMWs or any new cars these days....you can't just open up the bonnet and have a go....so special garages have to do it at much cost...so warranties are important.

Its strange that i have driven my car which is worth about 4k(Honda)now, bought in 2005 used with 1 yr warranty and now been driving without warranty for 3 yrs (and not even serviced it properly) and not worried about cover, yet with BMW i'm panicking....maybe its the 10K factor. But i bought my Honda for 8.5K and would have even w/o warranty. I just don't have the same confidence.....maybe its all in the head.....

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You're right with BMWs, whilst in general they are robust, they do require TLC in spades to prevent them getting too tempermental. However IMO, its just a case of inspecting well and keeping any monies saved from not having the warranty to get servicing/work done as needed.

I will always say, unless you are buying a brand new car, the warranties are a gimmick.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I believe you can buy extensions to BMW warranties provided they have a BMW FSH and it is purchased when the manufacturers 3 year is up ?

Honda's, IMO don't expect that level of reliability off a BMW !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.