BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully checking out 2 cars tomorrow ones a 320d m sport touring with 77k on the clock auto, the other is a 325d manual m sport touring with 100k miles

I've read a few postings about the dpf getting blocked up and needing replacing at 1,400! Or alternatively a bypass put in. I'm just wondering if there is any way of checking before I buy a car if there could be any issues with the dpf? Or is it just pot luck?

Also we quite like the e91 with sat nav options option in the middle of the dash - are these easy to keep upto date?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The DPFs get blocked over time as they fill with soot. If the car gets a long steady cruise, it'll burn off the soot and regenerate.
The problems are centred around town cars that just get a shopping run, and picking the kids up from a school a mile away that builds up the soot with no chance to regen.
Once too much builds up, BMW can either force a regen, and hope to burn it out under more controlled conditions, or if that doesn't work, they need to swap the filter as it's beyond help.
If one does fill up, you should be able to get the car programmed to remove the DPF coding, and you can then ditch the DPF without the car going crazy.

Satnav - easy to keep up to date, just keep handing money over to BMW! A sat nav update disc is often more than a complete tom tom.
Great toy, and desirable, but more as a plaything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks for this.

Yeah the sat nav is like you said more of a play toy than anything else and thought it may help with resale later on

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the larger screen Professional SatNav in my 325i... it can be a play thing or very useful. I can program a destination from my PC before get to the car, so no delays when i'm setting off. It also has live traffic information and will divert you away from a traffic hold up. I use it a lot, even on familar journeys, to get the traffic info.

The I-drive also allow you to easily control a lot more of the minor things on the car (single or all door lock, speed warning, light delays, etc).

I'm not sure its worth £2k it cost thou!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i would agree - satnav isn't as slick as say a new tomtom, but it's very good none the less. have used it many times, and it never failed to get me accurately to my destination.

yes it's expensive
yes it's cool
yes it helps sell the car in the future
yes everyone goes green with envy when their car doesn't have it and they have to stick stuff to the windscreen - and take it off - and wipe the mark and lock the unit in the boot or take it with them!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm not sure its worth £2k it cost thou!
It's not worth the cost on a new car but it doesn't add anything like £2k to the windscreen price on a used car so is well worth seeking out. As pointed out above, it's good for selling the car on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts