BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice would be appreciated,my son is looking to buy a 325Ci on an Xplate is there anything especially to look for it has done 70000 miles with a full history.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check bushes and general suspension especially around 70k miles, I'd also be wary of changing brake pads around that time as they usually need a service II inspection. If he is going for an se the steering will feel rather light and woolly, so if he could stretch to a 51 plate sport personally I think it'll hold it's value better and be a more engaging drive.

Also keep in mind that cooling systems on the e46's are weak (water pump, radiator and thermo = £500), and that tyres if on 18's are not cheap so the more recently replaced the better. These cars don't usually take kindly to budget tyres being rwd.

Finally look for any rust especially on front panels, and if it has FBMWSH have it verified by ringing BMW :thumbsup

·
Registered
0 Posts
Certainly expect to replace the water pump, you shouldn't be put off by this, this happens on nearly all the e46 past o.n.o 60-70k.

I noticed it on mine when I began to hear some 'chatter' from the engine on idle and ruining the otherwise lovely engine sound - took it to the indie and discovered the water pump was on its way out.

When seeing an e46 around this sort of mileage have a careful listen to the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
^ Little vague as he is new to the forum there Neal :p

Sub frame - Very Serious consideration Tiger.

The rear subframe is a known weakspot for these cars it doesn't appear to affect all but it certainly is a COSTLY problem if it does arise (unless BMW are willing to fit the bill).

To check, goto the boot, lift the rear floor panel up where you gain access to the spare and look at the body work surrounding this area.

you should find what looks to be "manufactured" with the shaping of the car.

If you notice any cracks, unusual bulges or repair work question the seller.

I have a 2000 on 65k and it is fine at the moment and hope it stays this way otherwise I can consider the car scrap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any advice would be appreciated,my son is looking to buy a 325Ci on an Xplate is there anything especially to look for it has done 70000 miles with a full history.
great choice of car by the way and rare with that kind of mileage,you can always hide the year with a cheap private plate to keep people guessing the year.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Personally I'd stay well clear of any Auto (steptronic) gearboxes...

As well as that, being on an X-plate, make sure it says it's a proper 325Ci (193bhp) on the logbook, not a 323Ci (170bhp). Both are 2.5 litre, and in 2000 both were on sale (one early, one late). Someone on here got done lately.

HTH

·
Registered
995 Posts
Rusty front wings are a major problem on these now. I've seen so many E46 Coupes up to 2003 with rotten, bubbling front arches that it's a surprise to see one without rust. For some reason it's nothing like as bad on saloons and Tourings (or Compacts) but Coupe/Convertible wings are well known. If you see one without rust, they've either been replaced already or you're just lucky. I've seen cars on 52 plates with rust. the answer is to get the arch liners out and wire brush/Waxoyl all around the arch inner lip.
The subframe/boot floor issue is not as common but it's still an expensive £500 repair. The cooling system is weak in old age - any 8+ year old BMW that's not had a new rad yet will be due one, along with a water pump, header tank, various hoses, crankcase breather and hoses............
Basically, E46's can be a load of trouble at this age so tread carefully because they're not as solidly built as BMW would have you believe. The 325i/330i are better than the older 323i/328i cars though. 328i's can suffer little end knock and both can have engine loom issues requiring a complete new engine/autobox loom. Old autos need extreme caution and an oil/filter change ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts