BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting a job in September and I've got a company car allowance built into my salary. I've been shopping around for (used) cars now, and I think I found the perfect car at the right price. Good price, low km, etc. It seems like the market has been bottoming out the last few months for cars.

Now, right now, I'm a graduate student (i.e. paid but not much). The company that hired me gave me a sign-on bonus, so I would be able to float payments quite easily until I started working.

What I was wondering is if I should get something now or wait until closer to the time that I start my job? I'd be driving the car like 50-100 miles / month until September, so it's not going to be damaging the car. But what I'm wondering if I should just wait and see if prices still continue to drop.

Side note, anyone selling a current gen 330d with leather and possibly sat nav with less than 35k miles on it? Also would entertain a 325d/335d. :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, by damage I mean wear and tear / things needing repairs. So you don't think that the value of BMW's is going to go down much in 6 months? I think I agree though, once I find the perfect car snap it up. So if anyone is selling / knows of someone selling a 2005+ 330d, with black leather, sat nav, under 40k miles, manual, and is a 4-door saloon for 13-15k, let me know. Re colour, graphite all the way! Well that or dark blue. I may also consider metallic black.

The car I found doesn't have sat nav, and it's white leather so I think those are deal breakers for me. Meets all the other criteria though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's nice of the company to reserve a job for you whelmed1, what with the recession and such. Be careful that the company does not falter nearer the time, otherwise you will be left with a major debt.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Wear and tear is normal mate, and to be honest you'd rather drive the car than let it sit in a praking lot for the next 6 months.

I see what you mean by the white leather, never knew that was an option!

Mate, if you are holding out for a bmw sat nav, don't! The bmw built in sat nav is absolute kak and you'd be much better buying a tom tom or garmin.

If you're prepared to wait then by all means wait. Woud you not always be thinking "what if I had bought that car...." if you miss it tho? Red :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mate, if you are holding out for a bmw sat nav, don't! The bmw built in sat nav is absolute kak and you'd be much better buying a tom tom or garmin
I had thought that the Sat Nav meant that there was iDrive as well. I'm not in much need of the sat nav, but i thought iDrive was a good feature to have - or is that just on the newer 3-series?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had thought that the Sat Nav meant that there was iDrive as well. I'm not in much need of the sat nav, but i thought iDrive was a good feature to have - or is that just on the newer 3-series?
Yes, on E90s etc Sat Nav means iDrive, it was one of the key reasons why I wanted one with it fitted, basically you have way less buttons in the cabin, which I think looks better, plus if you go for iPod integration then it works much better with the iDrive as opposed to the standard stereo setup (I've only done a direct comparison on 1-series but I imagine it's broadly the same on the 3). Bluetooth is also a joy to use with it, easy to navigate you address book, look at recent calls etc. I would make sure you get the voice control as well, it does actually work and I have found it both practical and pretty cool.

I think you should be able to just about pick something up in budget, I bought my 55 E91 for just over 17k back in August, black 325i tourer with nav, leather, sunroof and bluetooth wtih 33k on the clock. To have got a diesel would have cost me a couple of grand more for a compariable car so with my milage, 15k a year, it comes out about even cost wise. Of course prices have dropped further since then. There have been a couple of minor faults, a key stopped working, boot clip broke and my local dealer has fixed these with out complaint under used warranty, but they are a different dealer to where I bought so that could have made a difference.

Dexter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts