BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the pandemic I'm looking after a neighbour's 2001 (Y) 330Ci who is abroad and not knowing when he will return.

Recently the nearside wing mirror got knocked (no idea how!!) and the metal alloy mainstay has sheared. Wiring seems intact.

So I'm on the search for a replacement but they seem incredibly rare and/or expensive. Can anyone on here suggest a good source?

Alternatively, with owner's permission of course, I could Loctite the body back to the casing but that would lose the upward 'park' function.

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seem to be a fair few on the bay although they're not cheap cheap:

e46 coupe wing mirror | eBay

You can swap the coloured bit over from your existing one (assuming that's not been busted up as well!).
Thanks Evog, I wasn't sure if the coloured backing plate was detachable so appreciate you pointing that out. ;)

I've spoken to the owner who has asked me to enquire of local BMW Stealership the cost of replacement so I've emailed them with details. :oops:

Their reply should be interesting ... and expensive no doubt!? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMW say that to buy replacement part (available in UK 2-days), labour cost to fit and inclusive of VAT I should expect £8.83 change from £350!! :rolleyes::(

Have emailed my neighbour with this fantastic news and now await his response. :giggle:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wow, that's quite punchy!

Yeah, ebay and swap the relevant bits would absolutely be the way I'd go. Just make sure that whatever one you get is a direct replacement. Off the top of my head, the things to make sure of would be:
  • Whether the car has electric folding or not (obviously has baring on motors and wiring)
  • Whether the car has electrochromic auto dimming mirrors or not (ie if it has auto dipping, then there are extra wires required to plug into the mirror glass to tell it to dip).
  • The age of the car (I think the design changed with the face lift so make sure you get the same type)
If you end up swapping over the coloured backing parts, you gain access by removing the wing mirror glass to then release the clips to the coloured backing. Top tip - apply hair dryer or blower heater to the glass for a while to help soften the mirror clips as it reduces the risk of busting the glass or clips getting it out. If it's ordinary mirror glass they're not too bad - if they're self dipping then they are stupid money for the glass (like well over £100 per side) so well worth protecting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for your input Evog, it's all a bit of a minefield on Ebay given all the different options but it's my neighbour's decision in the end ... but probably me that has to carry it through! 😂

Hey-ho. My X type's nowhere near as complicated and that's 5 years younger than this 330Ci. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had time to discuss with my indy mechanic and surprise surprise ... we've decided to take the eBay route!

Seems that some mirrors are 5-wire and some are 9-wire, not sure which is needed until we take the old one off ... unless anyone knows on here?

Could it be that as we currently have the 'reverse-dip' function then we need the 9-wire?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bargain (well compared to new BMW prices anyway)..

I only paid around £200 for a new one a couple of years ago from BMW, that is the 2003+ facelift ribbon type though, perhaps they're cheaper from the supplier being a newer part.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The plastic cover cap is detachable so if you can't find one in the right colour they are easy enough to prise off and respray with a can of spray paint, however the tabs do tend to break off. Unpainted black caps are available very cheaply on ebay.
Most of the common colours are available in spray cans at Halfords for £8.99 or if its a less common colour a local paint shop should be able to mix you one up for about £12-15.
I'm not surprised by that quote from BMW mind!.... They wanted £98 just to do the backing cover on my E36 and that was about 15 years ago!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that Niall, the cover was actually undamaged in the 'incident' so am hoping simply to switch it over to the replacement mirror body ... that's the plan anyway! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts