BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear brake pads on My E92 2 days ago and drove the car for the first time since today. All was fine until I reset the brake pad service item in the Condition Based Service menu. After doing so the miles to the next brake pad change indicates blank on both front and back, I may have reset the front brake pads service also accidentally, and the dash brake warning light is on along with the "car on a lift" fault indicator.

Searching online it seems that if you reset the brake pad service CBS items with a partially worn brake sensor installed this is what happens. Someone stated that disconnecting and reconnecting the pad sensor at the juction box in the wheel well may clear the fault, another workaround online is to disconnect the pad sensor and short the 2 terminals in the sensor socket and then reset the CBS. I decided I would try disconnecting the front pad sensor today as you can access it (with difficulty) without removing the wheel. I knew there was only one Sensor per pad front and back and I presumed the front sensor was on the pax side like the rear sensor. Anyway I ended up disconnecting the ABS sensor instead and after reconnecting it I now have ABS and DTC warnings as well as brake warnings.

I am going to take the wheels off tomorrow and try to reset the pad service CBS with the sensor terminals shorted, Will this clear the ABS fault also does anyone know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just driving the car seems to have cleared the abs warnings thankfully. Also shorting the terminals in the pad sensor sockets before resetting the pad service interval cleared the brake faults! I did the rear wheel first, the pad sensor is located on the driver side on the inner pad. I unplugged the sensor, the plug and socket connection is located above the wheel well cover, you have to remove a few screws and push back the wheel well cover to get to it.I then cut the plug from the pad sensor leaving a length of wire with the plug. I stripped some of the outer sleeve which is quite hard, to reveal two wires. I stripped these and connected them together and plugged it back in to the pad sensor socket.I then reset the pad service interval but still got the warning lights. I then connected a short to the front pad sensor socket located on the pax side. The front pad sensor connectors are easier to get at than the rear, the juction box is located behind the shock strut. I just used two wires this time, inserted into the sensor socket terminal pin holes and joined together. I reset the pad service interval and all fault lights cleared. The mileage interval displayed for the front with the short connected was 48000, only 12000 on the rear for some reason.I removed the short from the front pad sensor socket and reconnected the pad sensor, the mileage displayed then for the front pads was 13000, there is about 4.5mm thickness remaining on the front pads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts