BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem has risen it's head with my recently acquired 530D.. It seems they are almost popping up faster than I can knock them down!

I had a brake fluid low warning light come on so I topped the reservoir up (I literally couldn't see any fluid at all in it!) which resulted in the error messag disappearing. The next morning I went to take the car out and the message was back.. Looked in the reservoir and it was down below the min mark. Hoping it was perhaps some sort of airlock making its way out I topped it up again and parked it on some concrete so I could see any leakages.

In under 30 mins there was a sizeable puddle of fluid around the rear offside wheel:

In addition to this I've noted that surface rust isn't being rubbed off the rear discs when I take the car out:

The car has just had new brake pads all round (done before I bought it).

So where do I need to start with this? Is it something a novice mechanic with w but of common sense can tackle or should I just take it to a local Indy?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Unfortunately like the E39's before them - the E60/61 are prone to brake pipe corrosion on the front to rear brake pipes - that could be your leak problem, or of course it could be a damaged flexi hose. As Clavurion says, taking the wheel off for a look see, should identify where the leak is. I suggest you do it sooner rather than later too - brakes are important!! That is a large leak you have, so it needs sorting ASAP.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
After a few seconds more thought - the reason you have rust on the brake disc, is that there must be very little hydraulic pressure in that calliper due to the leak, so that brake is simply not being applied

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a chance to get a better look today, looks like the hose in to the calliper is fine but the brake line looks badly corroded.

Here's a shot under the car of what appears to be the offending leak in the line

Couldn't see any other obvious leaks although it was just generally a bit wet on that side with brake fluid.

How easy (and costly!) is this to remedy?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good news then, just need to seek out a decent Indy who won't try and have my eyes out now.

Thanks mate

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to an indy today and he's replacing the brake like rather than repairing it for £100. Apparently the whole brake line is in a bad way

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just cant understand why BMW don't use some decent brake piping - I have had to replace a few brake pipes on the various BMW's I have owned, for what extra it would cost surely it would be worth while on what is sold as being a quality product.

Saab had the right idea running the brake pipes inside the car - that way the only bits exposed are the brake hoses.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the car back and it's all been sorted. They did however advise that NSF brake pipe and NS front the rear brake pipe will need replacing in the near future as they've also corroded

1 - 12 of 12 Posts