BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m kieran and now I’m stuck in Sheffield after buying a car from an auction in Wakefield near Leeds , that turned out to be a non runner and after paying £250 for a new key to be programmed and cut and then when it didn’t start payed another £100 to get it towed to Sheffield at a friends house , as towing it back to london would cost over £500 and would have also been an extra expense to get fixed, as parts and labour comes at a premium price in London.

Ok guys I know I did everything wrong with buying this car but this is a long story and it starts like this ...

Ok so my first car was a 2000 Citroen Saxo 1.1 desire lmao... and yes it was a banger without any mods and some trim was missing and was misfiring with a cooling issue I find myself to be a handy man so would bleed the coolant system ( no sure what it is exactly called ) as there was a crack at the bottom of engine bay and was leaking water , so basically the car was on its way out - this had been going on for a while so the car was still drivable but wasn’t renewing any mot , long story short i took it on the A2 and the car overheated and didn’t make it back.

I was looking to buy a banger again for around 1000 as `i buy and sell computers I was looking at my suppliers and came across a seized vehicle auction and saw this bmw going for £900 , yes £900 ... one step closer to my dream car...

(image is not uploading will supply images later) -- it is a 54 plate sliver bmw 118d and I believe that it's the facelift model

Needless to say I got consumed with getting a car for that week and while also watching the auction that had 3 days left , surely it was going to go higher than that price , but with 30mins left it had only reached £950 so i got hopeful

I bidded and ended up paying £1700 after 20% VAT + 20% buyers premium , i feel like i just bumped myself but i was feeling hopeful that the the car would drive after i had a key made for it so i headed form London to Wakefield to pay and pick up my car

I met the locksmith at the car impound and he put a jump pack on the jump points in the engine bay he programmed the key for the remote locking then opened the boot and connected the jump pack to the battery terminals.

He plugged in the OBD II module in to his laptop and programmed the key to the CAS module to start the car and then the moment of truth - he pushed the start stop button and the car wasn’t starting - the engine was turning over but not starting, they sprayed something in the air intake and it started but then died, the locksmith ran a quick diagnostics and it came back with the error code ‘46D3' with no description.

The locksmith said it was an issue with the ECU because it was damp or may have been damaged by water - I then did some digging of my own and it seems that it could be the internal control unit 4 ,also the battery is dead and indicating a black dot not yellow or green, I can seeing a car electronics guy today and will wait and see what comes of it.

Thanks for reading i will continue giving updates of the situation and the upgrades to come please any feedback will be welcomed - not sure what i should do :s

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
charge battery ya may get very lucky ide suggest getting INPA diags it cost bugger all and will give you full BMW diagnostics to hand...

see stickies at top of diags forum page...

worst case a replacement half engine but if it turns over with no nasty noises ya might be in luck yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support guys , had someone look at it and it seems that because the battery was dead it messed up the computers in the car it told me that it had petrol and it didn't ... so the guys said that there was no fuel pressure and was empty so after putting diesel in it and getting a ecu reset it ran nice only problem is the steering lock is broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
INPA is cheap as chips and is best for a 2004 car..

if ya have a laptop all you need is a modded Vagcom cable = circa £7...

BMW INPA software is free...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
INPA is cheap as chips and is best for a 2004 car..

if ya have a laptop all you need is a modded Vagcom cable = circa £7...

BMW INPA software is free...
Thanks I will order tonight also the guys that checked the car Said they will remap it for 140 that's a good price I think

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
follow guides in diags section when purchasing a suitable cable for INPA...

wouldn't remap it either its prolly seen good service already it dosn't need flogging or pumping up to death in it's twighlight years...Ya wouldn't fill an old veteran horse full of steroids and race it why do it on a car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
follow guides in diags section when purchasing a suitable cable for INPA...

wouldn't remap it either its prolly seen good service already it dosn't need flogging or pumping up to death in it's twighlight years...Ya wouldn't fill an old veteran horse full of steroids and race it why do it on a car...
Yer ur right just glad it's running

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Sounds like it's been stolen then recovered, possibly written off?

You'll need the steering lock working if you want it to pass an MOT, I do believe it's a requirement.

Have you taken the drivers kick panel off to have a look at the steering lock mechanism, see if anything is visibly broken?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys here's a update after a quick MOT it failed on broke front spring and rear tailing arm play also the seat sensor was gone so made the air bag light come on getting the work done tomorrow for 120 .. not bad no ... but no the sensor gona bypass in for now till the part comes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like it's been stolen then recovered, possibly written off?

You'll need the steering lock working if you want it to pass an MOT, I do believe it's a requirement.

Have you taken the drivers kick panel off to have a look at the steering lock mechanism, see if anything is visibly broken?
Will check that now but the mot guys didn't fail it on steering lock (or didn't check it ) just might be the spring which has changed the position of the steering , I got full hpi check and mot history from the dvla pound were I picked up the car , so I saw the last time it was serviced , got full log book and car has. Been well maintained but there is a gap of 20000 miles before last mot was done and failed and was sat there with no tax because there is not mot scenic Feb 2016

·
Vendor
4,318 Posts
If you contacted me I could of lent you the parts to get it started and driven it home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you contacted me I could of lent you the parts to get it started and driven it home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks got it all sorted may be contacting you soon when I uprate the fuel injectors to 320d ones as I think the wiring or injectors is clogged error code p1278 on a standard obd2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks got it all sorted may be contacting you soon when I uprate the fuel injectors to 320d ones as I think the wiring or injectors is clogged error code p1278 on a standard obd2

Also what kinda of parts are you talking about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts