BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak i think.. The garage said could have been old oil filter leaking as it was battered beyond belief..or may be oil filter gasket

I have got myself some gunk engine degreaser i was going to jack the car up and put it on some axel stands and then spray the gunk and hose it down with a hose pipe with no nozzle so just running water..is there anything i should cover up or watch out for doing this on the bottom of the engine

Thanks

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
id say any electrical wiring u can see other than that it should be fine as it is the bottom an dshould be used to getting wet in autumn/winter just makesure u leave it to dry good before restarting is what id do i seen a guy at a carwash last week open his bonnet and get the guy to blast it ive seen it done with steam before but this guy drenched his engine bay with not even a thought of covering any electrical parts.... i had to laugh to myself sods law if i tried that the car would cut out abd get problems

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup i have seen that too and shocks me... My local car wash offered do that too and i was like hell no.

I will makesure its just running water and no presure so it should not get up the engine or anything..

Will be giving it a go in an hour. Ill leave it till tonight to dry then. And take it for a quick drive makesure i havent fooked anything up lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well just used some the gunk and hosed it down.. Only got to do the metal shield or whatever it is at the bottom of the engine. .. Didnt want to hose up into the engine..It was covered in oil will keep eye on it see if it gets drenched in oil again..once bottom engine drys up

X

·
0 Posts
Carefull application of brake cleaner and some gloves and goggles....... if youre working underneath with the undertray off.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the gunk and hosed it down.. It did a good job.. No more oil drips so far..

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
TBF aslong as water doesnt go in your air intake and then into your engine when switched on it should be ok imagine how many puddles your car goes through

1 - 7 of 7 Posts