BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
e39 530i , having given car to garage to sort out head problem , finding head eventually , getting it skimmed , , valves done etc , put it on car and head bolts wont torque up tight , threads are ripping themselves out , not sure if i want to helicoil , so i think i will go or a bottom end , when i enquired about head everyone asked for cast number , but 520 is different from 523/528 and 525 530 are different again despite having same cast number , valves are bigger on 525/530 but you have to change cams , what i want to no is do i need a block from a 525/ 530 , or can i use a block from a 520/523/528 or is there any way apart from helicoiling to sort the bold problem

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
At this point I'd probably be looking at sourcing another motor. Granted this is dumping the work you've already done on this one but the problems you've run into indicate that the one you have is unlikely ever to be back up to spec.

Taking a guess what's probably happened is the car has overheated at some point in its history. This causes the head to warp (a problem on these straight 6s especially the earlier ones) at which point you run into problems like mystery coolant losses because the head gasket is no longer doing its job.

Skimming will get you so far but it sounds like your replacement head isn't a good match for the bottom end.

Harsh as it sounds I'd say cut your losses and get another lump. There's plenty around so they can be had relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I had a 523 which overheated, the block on mine had already been helicoiled - so had been a problem in the past. The alloy block is quite soft, and when it overheats stripped threads are a distinct possibility. Helicoiling can be successful, but in my case I also had a bolt that wouldn't torque up a second time around, so my advice would be the same as Snowblind says - find another complete engine, they are about, and not that expensive . I think you would be chucking good money after bad, persevering with your engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after seeing mechanic today we both said same thing , he said he would end up helicoiling all holes and in the end the block may be warped , so despite having a head done by in my opinion best engineers around , i will get another engine and sell the head , locating a decent engine is not easy

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Try places such as Quarry motors in Sheffield, or FabDirect near Gloucester - both are very good and helpful too. You will also find engines on Ebay, but whilst you can find good ones, there are some unscrupulous characters about, who will sell you a dodgy one, and there will be precious little comeback.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'd probably run a quote through parts gateway to get a feel for the price of a good engine then set that as the guide for the upper bid on something like that car in the link. If you go for the complete car you can strip any good bits from your old vehicle to use on the new one and maybe make a few quid back on the scrap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts