BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here used SGS or euro car parts for replacement bonnet struts, I think with colder weather my struts are no longer able to hold the bonnet up...

Andy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have used SGS for a gas strut on my caravan, which was a good price and works perfectly. I recently bought some tailgate gas struts for my car on Ebay, from a firm in Germany, which was a good price even allowing for the P&P, and were good bits of kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought some bonnet struts on eBay £18 delivers pair. Seem okay so far hold the bonnet up and fit fine. However I’m lead to believe the tailgate struts are more complicated and you are best to stick with oem. I emailed Sgs and they didn’t seem to care much about my request to supply struts for my e61 boot. Told me to go to BMW.
@Richyroos I would be interested to know more about your tailgate struts, were they for an e61 and could you give me a link to them possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I just bought an OEM strut for my E61 LCI tailgate. A remarkably cheap and nasty looking thing it is too. I can't imagine the aftermarket ones being much worse.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
In reply to Abarth 1200, the struts were for an E61, listing No 292194695390, the pair cost £51.47 plus £17.82 P&P, the seller was huslup (37727). The struts were of German manufacture by a firm called Stabilus.

The only difference between the struts that I took off - which were the original BMW ones - was that the new ones did not have the plastic sleeve over them, what the sleeve is supposed to do, is anybody's guess!

Rich

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That plastic sleeve is a retainer for the spring inside. You have two telescopic tubes, one slides inside the other and in the middle there is a spring. The common failure is the plastic tube splits.
You'd have thought they might at least have stretched to aluminium sleeves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That plastic sleeve is a retainer for the spring inside. You have two telescopic tubes, one slides inside the other and in the middle there is a spring. The common failure is the plastic tube splits.
You'd have thought they might at least have stretched to aluminium sleeves.

So I’m wondering if the aftermarket ones don’t have springs if there is no sleeve.2

The spring must be there to help left the boot but I thought that’s how gas struts in there own right worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
A gas strut could do the same job but it would need to contain a lot of pressure. Can't see it being cost-efficient to build one to the required standard, especially when the spring version does the same job for a fraction of the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts