BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought a 2012 bmw 2.0I z4. When i bought it i could hear a whine from the engine as i reved it like an alternator so to my error that is what i thought it was and bought the car.
Got home and removed the drive belt just to confirm that it was the alternator making the nose and no differance still same whine noise.So no alternator / ac turning.

Have looked youtube and hear clips that sounds same as mine but it the timing chain ? any thoughts what other than it could be ie turbo elec water pump air leak ?

Also can anyone recommend a good gargae in glasgow / east kilbride area .

Thanks

ANDY

·
Registered
77 Posts
Certainly sounds like a rotary sound like a bad alternator but since you have already tried it with the belt removed that proves its not and any idle pully's. Has your power steering a separate belt? Also check the condition of all of the actual pully's the belts run on, maybe got a damaged one creating the noise. Try a mechanics stethoscope or a long handled screwdriver with your ear on the handle to listen for the noise source with the blade end placed against parts of the engine, timing chain cover as a start and see if that pinpoints the source. Might be a collapsed chain tensioner?
If it is then strip down will confirm. Water pump also needs investigation to see if thats the source of the screeching.

As an after thought is the starter motor disengaging once the engine fires up, if its stuck partialy engaged it will be spinning causing a noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. have been told it is the turbo and will check to day.
but your starter motor idea is worth a check.
this car has electric washer put and steering only drive is alt and a.c. which is the belt I removed.

I have no history on the car but it looks like a new turbo has been fitted and new t/chain don't know about the oil pump chain.

I have got a turbo of a 19k mile car and was going to start there. but first will check your idea of starter motor

thanks Andy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts