BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, im a new x5 owner and up until today I didnt even notice the car had a tow hitch! i dropped something under the car and noticed it hidden up their, anyway, i found the button pressed it and all it did was click turn red, click turn green, click turn red, no tow bar appeared, so i tried pressing and holding it and it did nothing, after a couple of tried i heard a motor kick in but sounds like its just spinning and not engaging with the tow hitch.

the light on the button has also turned red and a warning has appeared on the dash "tow hook not locked" which will not clear.

ive read on other forums that it may be the plastic gears, dose anyone have experience of changing them and know of how difficult it is? a step by step would be ideal if anyone can recall doing theirs.

thanks, declan

·
Super Moderator
3,845 Posts
The electric tow hitch on X5 models is made by Oris and is totally different compared to one made by Westfalia on many other models. This one doesn't have those breaking plastic gears. As it's more rare there is not much info repairing them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts