BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in the middle of buying a x5 e53 2002 3.0 sport, i getting it off my next door neighbor for a good price, it been well looked after in side and out only done 80,000 miles.

So we was both looking over it together it was running fine sounded grate then all of a sudden it just cut out, he used to work on cars (hes in his 70s now) alot and he not got it in him any more so hes point and im doing to try and find out whats wrong.

He put his diagnostic on the bmw to find out what was wrong and it was coming up with low fuel rail pressure.
So we changed the fuel filter first still the same now we've changed the fuel rail sensor and the fault has cleared but still not starting, sound like it wants to but just not getting there.

Now we're getting an error code of 0235 boost pressure sensor, but we wouldn't of though that this would of stopped it from starting just loss of power please correct me if im wrong.

Other than this error nothing else is coming up, i know its an old car and probably not everyone's ideal car but mines pretty much come to the point of end of life hes letting me pay him monthly which is a big help for us.

We would really like to get it up and running so any advice would be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also another thing is, with some easy start it will turn over but it sounds terrible then cuts out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the diagnostic laptop is set for make model and all that, iv not got a pressure gauge to hook up the line but these definitely pressure being delivered by the disel pump

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm assuming it's diesel we're talking about? If so, at 2002, it's the older M57 engine which - I think - has an intermediate in line fuel pump between the tank lift pump and the main high pressure pump (certainly does in my 2000 E46 M57 but not my 2004 E53 which has the later M57N unit). It normally lives under the car roughly under the passenger seat. Put your VIN number into www.realoem.com to check that it has one and if so where it is.

Assuming it does have one check you can hear it whirring when you first turn the key to ignition. No whirring means dead pump / dodgy relay / dodgy wiring. Without the intermediate pump you won't get enough rail pressure to start - should be about 5bar after the intermediate iirc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming it's diesel we're talking about? If so, at 2002, it's the older M57 engine which - I think - has an intermediate in line fuel pump between the tank lift pump and the main high pressure pump (certainly does in my 2000 E46 M57 but not my 2004 E53 which has the later M57N unit). It normally lives under the car roughly under the passenger seat. Put your VIN number into www.realoem.com to check that it has one and if so where it is.

Assuming it does have one check you can hear it whirring when you first turn the key to ignition. No whirring means dead pump / dodgy relay / dodgy wiring. Without the intermediate pump you won't get enough rail pressure to start - should be about 5bar after the intermediate iirc.
Ok thanks ill have a look tomorrow

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Mine is a 2002 3.0d and it has that pump under the car and you can hear it for a short time when you turn the ignition on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screenshot_20200802-155802.png
Iv been looking for the mid line fuel pump under the passenger seat but there isn't one or am i missing something thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's underneath the under-tray at the back just in front of the rear wheel.

I stand corrected on my earlier post BTW - it looks like the face lift cars have intermediate pumps as well.

gives some idea of where and the pain involved in getting to it...

·
Registered
845 Posts
On the face lift cars, the pump lives next door to the filter. Your filter is in the engine bay - but I suspect your pump will be in the same place as the face lift cars. Ie under all of the trays on the passenger side just ahead of the fuel tank.

The filter is a red herring in the video - the interesting bit is the in line pump you can see next to it.

Hopefully AlanG will be able to confirm.

·
Registered
845 Posts
What's the oil level like? Just wondering if it's high whether there might be an injector stuck open/leaking which would bring the rail pressure right down.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
If you have diagnostics first check the supply pressure when you turn ignition to pos. 2. Both in-tank and inline fuel pumps should activate and supply pressure should be ~4 bar. (In-tank pump should only be needed if the fuel level is below ~1/3.) If the supply pressure is OK check rail pressure while cranking. It should be >200 bar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the best software to read fuel pressure as the one i have will only take reading when the can is running,
Iv been told to try inpa might be bale to do this, if not anyone got any recommendations please

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
What is the best software to read fuel pressure as the one i have will only take reading when the can is running,
Iv been told to try inpa might be bale to do this, if not anyone got any recommendations please
BMW softwares INPA, DIS or ISTA will do the job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So just a little update
Oh one other thing im am losing the will to live

Fuel rail pressure is with in normal limits

Injector leak back test is fine

Cam and crank sensor is fine.

No obd errors

So now im at a total loss, just one question what is the best way to bleed the fuel system.
Im bleeding the fuel to the injectors just to be sure is that ok or am i missing something

1 - 20 of 25 Posts