BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a x1xdrive 63 plate second hand when I test drove it had a wobble underneath car when at speed. I thought it might of been balancing it had a mixture of tyres on. Anyway I bought 2 tyres asymmetric put to the front and a pair of rotational on rear now it's worse before I buy another 2 asymmetrical tyres so all 4 are the same will this cure my problem without any costly Bill's I take it its interfering with the differential being a 4 wheel drive any info greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You should put 4 the same so as not to wind the transfer box.
With the old tyres where the all about the same tread depth as it could have done the damage already.
Bit of a test put it on full lock and drive it listening for any noises or anything unusual.
I am not 100% on all this but you will get more replies soon i hope.(but it is early Sunday)....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Check for wheel damage, even a slightly damaged wheel can be balanced on the machine. The chances are that one wheel (or more) has been distorted, do you have a full sized spare? If so replace each wheel and make a test drive, if you are really unlucky someone has hit a speed bump and messed up more than one then get them checked for trueness on a balancing machine by someone who knows what they are doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should put 4 the same so as not to wind the transfer box.
With the old tyres where the all about the same tread depth as it could have done the damage already.
Bit of a test put it on full lock and drive it listening for any noises or anything unusual.
I am not 100% on all this but you will get more replies soon i hope.(but it is early Sunday)....
I thought it was something to do with transmission as its 4 wheel drive thx for getting back will try the 4 tyres the same 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
I struggled with a similar vibration for a long time. I changed tyres, wheels (I had after market with the wrong hub size and no centric rings), driveshaft bearing and guibo, all suspension arms changed and I still have a slight vibration which I have now learnt to live with. Each thing I changed it got a little better but I can't say what was the precise cause. I idea being is that you may have a long road ahead of you but just don't keep changing things or it will get expensive quick. I don't mind cause these things had to be changed in due course anyway. But be wary is all I'm saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts