BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved my BMW Scan Tool 1.3.6 PA Software this morning in the post.
I believe it was supposed to come with a disc to upload software to my PC, so I can plug it into my car and read the fault codes etc on my PC. Slight problem though, no disc!! :frown

This is the thing I've bought - http://www.beatthegarage.com/product/002_bmw_car_diagnostic_scanner_tool_1_3_6_1_36_pa_soft

I plug in the 16 pin jobby under the dash, the lights on the black box light up. Ive plugged it in to my laptop, but it doesn't do anything. Just says that the driver software has been loaded. Theres no programme to open to use the scan tool, hence why I think there should be a disc.

Does anyone know if I have to have a disc or a site where I can download the required software to make this tool work????

I've tried ringing the place where I got it from, but no-one is answering, and I was kinda hoping to read my codes this weekend while I have time in the daylight!!
Cheers all :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i've found and installed the software, but I can't get it to work.
I'm using the scan tool via USB. The 16 pin plug is plugged in under the dash, then that lead goes to the little black box, then I have a lead going for that to my USB port on my laptop.
When the software is open it says to double click to basically make the tool start scanning, I do this but it says hardware not ready!
Can anyone explain to me how to get this to work??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that. It just says hardware not ready. When I click scanner on the top bar and go down to settings, there is a choice of com number, delay in mins and seconds, language, then a choice of optimized for windows 2000/xp or windows 95/98. I'm running windows Vista. Do you think this is the problem?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Which version of PA soft are you using?

If the latest then only the demo will work with any lead, the full version needs there lead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which version of PA soft are you using?

If the latest then only the demo will work with any lead, the full version needs there lead.
I'm using 1.3.6.
The lead that came with the unit wouldn't fit my laptop with a PCMI card, which I dont have (didn't realise when buying it:mad).
So I bought a lead which coverts to USB (scanner box to laptop).
The unit came with the big round plug too, for under the bonnet. I've tried that as well. Still says the same 'hardware not ready'...

I've attached a pic. The silver colour lead on the left is the USB one I bought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scanner Software v1.36

Hi, sorry if I post this wrong (1st post).

I've just brought this scanner and I'm afraid it states that it will only work through a serial (com) port not on a serial / usb convertor. I know this is not what you want to hear but it might help.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
It'll only work through the COM port. plus if i'm right in thinking you have an e36? I emailed that exact same seller and even though it says it will do 3 series upto 2004 it won't actually do the e36. Another member on here had the same problem.

edit - :rofl just seen your sig pic you have a e46 lol ignore what I said.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had enough now. I've bit the bullet and bought a Peake scanner. I hear good things and you get what you pay for!!! The other one that I'm asking about in this thread was 26 quid. Say no more!
Thanks for all your input guys. I'll be posting in this section again I'm sure when the Peake arrives.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Had enough now. I've bit the bullet and bought a Peake scanner. I hear good things and you get what you pay for!!! The other one that I'm asking about in this thread was 26 quid. Say no more!
Thanks for all your input guys. I'll be posting in this section again I'm sure when the Peake arrives.
Dude sell me the black box please if you don't want it no more please please please

1 - 13 of 13 Posts