BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
best at doing what?...getting you there?
i use a tomtom in my truck and i always make my delivery.
not used a bm system,but i suspect it'll get you there too.
so then it comes down to cost and the tomtom wins hands down.
plus you can take it with you if you ever change vehicles...even take it on holiday and put it in the hire car(if you have europewide maps)
like any computer though,a satnav is only as good as the info programmed into it.get the postcode wrong and you could end up anwhere lol.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
best at doing what?...getting you there?
i use a tomtom in my truck and i always make my delivery.
not used a bm system,but i suspect it'll get you there too.
so then it comes down to cost and the tomtom wins hands down.
plus you can take it with you if you ever change vehicles...even take it on holiday and put it in the hire car(if you have europewide maps)
like any computer though,a satnav is only as good as the info programmed into it.get the postcode wrong and you could end up anwhere lol.
The first and only time I used a TomTom was to go from Weston super Mare to Rotterdam, Holland. It got me there fine and I would definately use it again and recommend it if anyone is looking to purchase:thumbsup

PS I have moved this thread to the General discussion as I believe it to a more appropriate section:thumbsup

·
Registered
117 Posts
Think they all do pretty much the same thing but with a few added bits on depending on the make. I used a "GARVIN?" when i went to warrington from the isle of wight last week and got me there no problem and not one wrong turn!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just changed from TomTom to the BMW prof system, it's swings and roundabouts so far.

For the TomTom:

Does postcode search (my BMW system does not)
Has native speed camera support
Tells you your true speed, and the limit on some roads
Can take it on holiday

For the BMW system:

Fitted to the car, no more attaching and detaching, there if you need it
Traffic support works better than using the plug in ariel on the TomTom
Bigger screen and easier to zoom in and out
Always has a location on start up

I've got my TomTom now so will hold on to it for holiday etc (it has euro maps) but while each has advantages and disadvantages for me they end up even in the end.

Dexter

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use the Garmin 250w. Has been fine for me so far! can not compare to BMW SatNav as I havent got it installed im my car. Having seen the retro for BMW sat nav prices.... tomtom, garmin etc make perfect sense!

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i read with interest on another thread that bm satnav doesnt do poi (points of interest)and i'm guessing,it wont do speed cameras?
2 slow downs for hidden cameras and the tomtom has paid for itself...no brainer really ;)

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
No Mark you are simply wrong! Sorry I don't meant to be as harsh as it sounds :)

The BMW sat nav does do speed cameras and POIs

The only thing it does not do is alert you when approach a speed camera zone!

I feel a How to guide coming on sometime soon, too many people don't know how to use the BMW sat nav. Though it is a wee bit different from the likes of tom tom.

And IMHO Garmin is light years ahead of tom tom, my wife used Garmin without any help, the tom tom wasn't as friendly she said.

Red!

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
no probs red :)
in the other thread the guys oe satnav couldnt find stanstead airport...a poi on my tomtom...just assumed lol
and you have to admit,the lack of a warning chime for scameras is a big miss

·
Registered
210 Posts
The biggest problem with sat nav built into any car is its ability evolve. I havent seen the bmw sat nav but suspect it has similar issues.

Take tom tom early models, they had maps on a sd card, were the size of a brick, cost a fortune and were pretty basic...fast forward a few years and you've got bluetooth, gps quick fix updates, map share updates free, operating system upgrades, and start of at £100 ish, to name a few things.

A few more years in the future and who knows what extra things sat nav will have on them.......your bmw will still be looking newish but the sat nav will look outdated....Bit like my Business Stereo unit with a tape deck on it :eek

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Tom Tom, BMW Sat Nav, and a Snooper Indigo I must admit the BMW one is a 1999 when the sat nav came out so it is very slow to load in destination and if you miss a turn very slow to re-route but I find it good other than that. The Tom Tom is on an Orbit 2 XDA and is total rubish. The Snooper is by far the pick of the bunch and has great camera detection, tells you what type of camera it is, what the speed limit is and what your speed is.
Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts