BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been a serial lurker for a while, and recently pulled the trigger and purchased a 2015 430d.
I looked at 335i’s, but tax was a little higher than I thought when I was about to buy, then I looked at the 435d’s but they were a little out of my price. I finally found a car I liked with correct spec and was a 6 cylinder which I never had before.

I have read a lot about N47 engine issues , in particular timing chain. Now I have an N57 which has been well maintained , I want to make sure I do a everything possible to keep it on good Nick.
On the day I got it , the previous owner had a letter about the recent EGR recall, which has made me research all about the intake manifolds clogging up, some people deleting it and so forth.

I want to make a plan for all preventative maintenance I can do to help keep this car working and not becoming a disaster.

the previous BMW I had was a B47 , which developed an engine rattle at about 45k. The person who bought it said it wasn’t an issue and was a V belt rattle, however a friend of mine reckoned it was a timing chain. I did take it to a mechanic who said it was normal , but it wasn’t there when I got it.

would appreciate people’s views on the 2015 N57’s in 430d’s, and what maintenance they’ve done to prevent issues with manifolds clogging and engines rattling. I am going to do a cost plan for the following:

Oil changes between 5k and 8k miles
Get the EGR valve done and ask stealers to check the intake manifold to see if clogged
Glow plugs?
Swirl flaps changing / cleaning ?

It’s had 1 owner from new (I’m owner 2) and had service every year. It’s been serviced in line with BMW advice , but not every 8-10k like most forums advise .

many help would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
quite a few have had bottom end go,taking crank out etc,,sometimes its oil starvation caused by oil pump failure,,all advice is poor servicxing,ie long life services,,i currently have 2 n57 cars,f31 330d x drive and 640d,great cars,egr is fine check system for carbon build up,,if need cleaned then do it,then just get it mapped out,maybe a remap also,ive also had my swirl flaps deleted,,aint like older engines,only need a stop putting in to stop actuator arm from operating them£10 from e bay,indy i use did mine..£100 or so..it becomes a prob mainly with over 70-80k miles,it aint a common prob,but worth doing for peace of mind..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts