BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Just wondering
my mate either wants the new 335i or the e46 M3!

do you know which is quicker & the better handleing car?

is the m3 e46 quick???

cheers :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I treid both when I bought mine.

Completely different cars.

335i is cheaper to run on servicing costs, etc
335i mapped is quicker than an E46 M3
E46 M3 is a sweeter handling car by a long way
E46 M3 has to be ragged to make decent progress, the 335i is all about low end grunt.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
335i looks more classy than an M3 e46

·
Registered
5 Posts
The e46 M3 will be a lot cheaper to buy but more expensive to run and maintain.

If it was me, then I would go for the E92 335i with a warranty for the turbos.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for your reply's lads !

whats quicker 335i or M3? :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
If your aged 25 or below M3, wrong side of 25 then the 335i or d (faster than both mapped):)
If you lived in Leeds like me the m3 WILL almost certainly get stolen. Mate lost 2 of his within 6 months!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
End of the day the M3 is a M3 so a bit more special but older, the 335i is nice but not the same thing at all.

It's like a XR3i or a RS turbo back in the day, the RS was always more special than the XR3i.

Remap a M3 or charge it and see a difference in it then.

This could turn into my dogs bigger than your dog thread :hihi

I know what I'd rather have and got.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
End of the day the M3 is a M3 so a bit more special but older, the 335i is nice but not the same thing at all.

It's like a XR3i or a RS turbo back in the day, the RS was always more special than the XR3i.

Remap a M3 or charge it and see a difference in it then.

This could turn into my dogs bigger than your dog thread :hihi

I know what I'd rather have and got.
It shouldn't do Plumb. They are as you say and I said in my first response, so very, very different. :thumbsup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
517 Posts
One of my work colleagues traded in his E46 M3 after 3 years and went for a 335i after driving mine. He's now had it a year and reckons that in real world driving the 335i is a lot quicker because of its low end torque. He reckons that thrashing the bollocks off both there's nothing in it but the 335i power delivery is far more useable on normal roads.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have run both but if you can stretch to m3csl now your talking, but if you getting M3 make sure it's in best and well looked after cond. Both can be very expensive to fix if go wrong, loved both but my M3csl nailed 335i in every way. Still few niggle on 335i's upto 58plate that can cost you, at mo doing friend of a friends 335i conv 07plate with worn camshaft brg housing worn £3000+ needs vanos's, vanos solenoids, camshft housings and engines only done 21,000miles. If we find swarf needs engine pretty common on n52/53 and 54 engines. but all in all both brilliant car, but pref M3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts