BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, one of my first posts, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. I have a question that I hope some light can be shed on.

I am looking towards getting a E36 M3, the specs I would like are:

3.2L,
6 speed, not SMG,
'97 or '98 Reg
Mileage - as low as possible, preferable around 60-70k,
Estoril Blue,
Full grey interior leather,
FBMWSH or reputable garage service history,
Dual climate control would be nice,
Not fussed about sunroof, however would prefer without as I am going to use a shiney AA short shifter,
Rear OEM wing,
17" "M" Alloys, rather than the Sunflower wheels

Now, I know I am asking an awful lot of a 12 or 13 year old car, but how much do you guys believe a realistic price on a car of this spec and condition would be?

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me in helping me find my perfect Bimmer :)

Thanks,
Phil

(Sorry if in wrong place)

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
I'd be saying if I was looking for one as you listed I'd be looking to pay up to £7k, that is just me they might be more or less :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the speedy replies, I was infact looking at spending around £6-7k anyway. Glad we are in the same ballpark. My next question - where is the best place to find one of these things? Just constantly trawl through Autotrader and Pistonheads and the like until one crops up or can one do searches for this kind of thing? E.G. Input all specs you want and have a notification when one pops up? Similar to the eBay function.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
Just keep searching and 1 will turn up.

Have you looked at the last M3 E36s in Red, they were a GT and a special edition, very nice looking M3s.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,229 Posts
i,d say between 5-7k dont be fooled by the higher priced ones a lot of them are owners that are trying to re-coup money theve lost.also without trying to put you off can you afford to fix it if it goes wrong? i bought mine clean as they come 56k full service stil blew up haha i want 10 k for mine haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what generally puts me off a higher mileage one is the thought of it a) breaking and b) being ragged it's entire life. That's not to say some higher mileage ones are bad. Are there any telltale signs beyond starting it when cold, listening to ticks and knocks in the engine? Anything distinct that will tell me if it has been raced everywhere from cold or if it has been used gently, had time to warm up before being given some?

I'm in the automechanical trade, and as much as I would love to strip the engine down, I don't think the owner would appreciate that. :D :D Every car is different also.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I think its fair to say that just about every M3 will have had its pants pulled down on a regular basis as they arent bought by people who want to tickle them along down the road.

The Vanos on them can rattle around 2000rpm but that isnt necessarily a tell tail sign of it having had its neck wrung.
I long test drive should weedle out a dog of a car and also following it from behind while its being given some beans and looking for smoke etc. I would be more concerned about accident damage than weather its been thrashed perhaps.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Never had an M3 mate so wouldnt like to say but im sure the M3 boys will chip in with some thought given a bit of time:thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all help I get :D. I think the nail was struck in the last post. No one drives and M3 and doesn't thrash it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts