BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube link

hi everyone, I need your help. My car has been making a noise only on warm temperature 28 degrees and above only. This never happens in cool temperature. Only on slow moving speed. I’ve had this in with the dealers but they can’t seem to find the problem they say. And now the car is out of warranty. Any idea what it can be??? Thank you

Knocking sound YouTube link

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a similar issue. Not quite as bad of a knock. For me it was when going over uneven roads of speeds of up to 10/15 mph. In my case it turned out to be the steering rack. It is a known item of failure even at low mileage and new year. Might be worth getting it checked out but I couldn’t say where or how. On mine it took 4 guys an hour of taking the car out and knocking it about in the garage to pin point the fault and it was done in Bulgaria. Nobody in the UK was able to find the problem. Hope that helps to some degree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I love to fix this because it’s very frustrating.

Would you be able to say how much roughly to repair? Did you change your whole steering rack?

If it is the problem I need to be prepared.

I appreciate your advise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got away with reconditioning of the rack. A new rack would have been £3000 just for the part. I don’t know how much the reconditioning was because it was done under warranty but my guess is that it won’t be more than £300/400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts