BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, As the title suggests I have started to have problems with the navigation unit in my car. Its a LCI 530d.

Few months ago the i-drive started showing signs of old age. The maps would work great on split screen view etc but when I needed to use it for directions ironically it would say "insert dvd".

So for a few months it was intermittent until finally last month it finally gave up altogether. I have tried a new 2013 dvd, lens cleaner and reset's etc but I'm pretty sure its the dvd laser as it is a common issue from what I can gather.

Now I know there are replacement services online for about £150ish and new DVD drives for about the same price but I was wondering if it may be possible to replace the actual DVD pick-up laser? I have found a German website offering the laser for £40 delivered, and there are some on eBay also.

I cant seem to find any write ups or anything, nor even someone saying it can be done.

Has anyone tried doing this? Is the problem with just the laser and ribbon mechanism or does it go deeper? Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought a replacement laser from a German site once, it arrived fine.

When I opened it all up to change it I found an old CD label all tattered up, almost powderised inside the drive so I cleaned it all up and put it back together, been fine since.

No idea what I did with the laser though, stripping down was simple enough.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I changed to whole (DVD) unit in mine - the laser only change looked a bit fiddly

you can find instructions on how to do it on the web

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's not normally the laser as I understand it from the tech bulletin I read. The drive's 'suspension' goes hard and it's the vibrations that stop it reading properly. I replaced the drive with a genuine one in my 6er for about £120.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.. Thanks for the replies guys.. I think I may have a go at stripping it and see if there is anything obvious going wrong..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts