BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 'cruising' scene isn't/wasn't what causes/caused accidents. I refer to it in both the past and present tense, as it's all but died out now thanks to the police and people thinking a group of people gathering in a car park, is a bad idea for some insane reason!?!?!? I used to attend cruises all the time, from being 17 til I was about 25 when they began to die off completely. I never ONCE saw an accident at a cruise, I never ONCE had an accident going to, or coming away from a cruise, 99% of the 'cruisers', were responsible people like myself, who liked to spend money on their cars and go meet other people who felt the same, without going to a pub, getting tanked and then driving home pissed, like most car club meets used to be BEFORE cruising existed. If accidents happen at cruises now, it's because law abiding folk like myself won't go to them any more, for fear of a criminal record, for doing nothing more than standing by my car in a car park!

The problem is, thanks to 'do-gooding', our current 'youth' are not brought up to respect anything, be it their own possessions, others possessions, or rules/laws/authority. I'm not all that old, but I remember coppers giving me a clip round the ear and I remember teachers threatening to do the same. They weren't strictly supposed to, but I didn't know that at the time and I grew up respecting authority, my own and others property and my life/self. The number of kids I see out on the street, shouting abuse at police, teachers from their school, their friends parents, older siblings etc. is disgusting!

I actually thought once-upon-a-time, that cruising was going to be the answer to some of our social problems, but no, a bunch of do-gooders said 'oh no, we can't allow people to actually congregate in a public place, especially not with cars, that's GOT to be dangerous to SOMEONES health, SOME TIME!' and then it was gone.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that they now call it no claims discount, rather than no claims bonus?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some insurers call it bonus, some call it discount, makes no real difference, either way, it's a 'discount' in the actual system that works it out and it only comes off your final price, not your base price where it would actually matter more.

Imagine everyone starts off with a base price of £5000 /annum. It's a different base price for each insurer and it's usually not a round number, but at the start of each year, the underwriters for the company set their 'base insurance rate', which is always huge! You then have discounts and loadings applied to the 'base price' depending on your circumstances. Now this is where people don't get it, because you don't get a 'discount' at 21, you just get less of a loading, then less again at 22, 23, 24, etc. The big differences come in at 21, 25, 30, 35 and 40, at which point it remains the same until you're 60 - 65, depending on the insurer, at which point the loading starts to go up in size again. Same difference with your post code, it's a loading, not a discount. That one is a bit weird though, because if you live in a REALLY good area, it becomes a negative 'loading' so it is in fact at this point, a discount, lol.

No one will ever completely suss out how they work it out, because they don't want anyone to. The only people who 'TRULY' know how insurance is calculated, are the underwriters who make up the loadings and discounts at the start of each quarter and the base prices at the start of each year. I know I'm not really explaining this very well and going into infinite detail, but hopefully it might help people understand why one insurer can offer a price of £500 and another says £4,500?

·
Registered
8 Posts
CollingwoodLearners

Skipped through the thread but my son is 18 and a learner driver and we put him through this company for insurance as they beat anything else out there by miles. We got him a 1.4 polo on a R reg with full history and 1 owner from new car to start him off driving and he is only paying £1050.00 fully comp in his name with collingwood. What i found was that if you buy a small car and something that's not got a sporty badge on it then insurance is not really a problem but i think it all depends on what your kids are expecting to drive. Like most people we just wanted to help him to get out there driving and after a year he will have his first years NCB and that goes a long way with new drivers. He is in no hurry to pass his test as we travel to work together in the car so he is getting alot of experience everyday driving and also building the all important NCB.

When he does pass the test that's when it will double in price because he is then out there alone in the car but they told us its the only way for new drivers to do it now as most company's find young new drivers a very high risk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For an e30 check out e30zone.net forum, a few nice cars there that might be worth looking at.

Classic insurance - not at his age, usually min age of 21 and car age of at least 10-20 years depending on insurer.

Don't knock the bigger engined cars... A big factor tends to be how many of those models have been involved in accidents.. The less accidents the better the stats, hence why some smaller cara have very high insurance!!!

Be honest when getting quotes!! Especially if buying via online as they will have a record of all quotes that you got, so should you claim and they check your quote history and note you changed your profession 5 times then they could potentially worst case VOID your insurance.

Hth

·
Registered
229 Posts
Apparently kit cars are cheee-eeep to insure??
dont know if there's any experts on that here?

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL You're joking right? I think even a 1.1 litre Corsa will cost more than that to insure. I'm 20 (licence for 3 years, 2 years NCB, no accidents) and it's costing me £162 per month to insure my '98 316i which I said was worth £850. When I was 19 years old, it cost me £230 per month! :eek and that was the cheapest I found.

Thats rediculous !! i payed £1000 for the year and i had a 53 plate 318ci sport and im 20!!

Reactions: ally18

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's all down to the postcode lottery really. I know if I had tried to insure a 316 at 17, I think you could have bought the car new for less than it would cost. That is, if they even would insure it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL You're joking right? I think even a 1.1 litre Corsa will cost more than that to insure. I'm 20 (licence for 3 years, 2 years NCB, no accidents) and it's costing me £162 per month to insure my '98 316i which I said was worth £850. When I was 19 years old, it cost me £230 per month! :eek and that was the cheapest I found.

What about classic insurance? Although, you might have to look for an older BMW (e30 etc) and that he may not gain any NCB.
Damn

·
Registered
2 Posts

What about classic insurance? Although, you might have to look for an older BMW (e30 etc) and that he may not gain any NCB.
Damn bro really!?!? When I was 17 I bought myself a 2015 320d M sport saloon (not a car guy so please don’t roast me) and my insurance isn’t anywhere near that and it’s a 2 litre

41 - 56 of 56 Posts