BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My son will be turning 17 soon, so I am on the hunt for a car.

My question is:

Which BMW will be the cheapest to insure?? -(He doesn't mind which model!) -I presume it will be the one with the smallest engine -or am I wrong?? The oldest one I will let him have would be a 1990 car. (So basically, anything from 1990).

Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've always found that mine and my friends car choice all depends on the insurance. Get the quotes first, decide on the engine/model and then look for a car to suit.

But as a side note although it would make better sense from a financial point of view to insure the car in your name and add your son as a named driver, AFAIK (and I'd double check this with the insurance company) you son can build up a no claims bonus while on a provisional licence. If I'm correct in saying that (again check) then by the time he's passed then he'll be at least half way towards a years NCB and a large reduction in his premium (mine was £400!).

Edit: +1 on the E36 316 Compact ;)

Edit 2: have a look at this site to see which insurance group the cars fall under carinsurancegroups.co.uk

Reactions: johnky90

·
Registered
648 Posts
17 years old? You'd be looking at more than £3k maybe more than £4k a year for insuring an e36 316i. Apparently, Taz from here said it's cheaper insuring a station wagon/estate/touring than it is for a sedan/saloon or coupé.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the replies.

-I'll tell you now -my maximum is £1500 on insurance.

-Apparantly I've heard that Volvo S40s are cheap to insure as a first car??? -Even though the insurance group is higher than that of others??!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'll tell you now -my maximum is £1500 on insurance.
LOL You're joking right? I think even a 1.1 litre Corsa will cost more than that to insure. I'm 20 (licence for 3 years, 2 years NCB, no accidents) and it's costing me £162 per month to insure my '98 316i which I said was worth £850. When I was 19 years old, it cost me £230 per month! :eek and that was the cheapest I found.

What about classic insurance? Although, you might have to look for an older BMW (e30 etc) and that he may not gain any NCB.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eye-popping:jaw-dropping:eek Okay...

Maybe I'm dreaming just a bit!

My son does like the E30s, it's just whether they will be a 'cheaper' option!

I know that this is a BMW forum, but if you excuse me and I hope that you don't mind but what about the Volvo S40s?? -I've found this one, which looks good and my son likes... 2004 Volvo S40 2.0 Sport Lux 4dr Saloon but again, it's the insurance! My friend's son had one when he was first learning to drive and he told me that it was 'cheap' to insure. -But he didn't tell me how much!??

The search continues.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry...

But I've just had a thought...

What about the E34s?? Let's say a 518i or 520i??

·
Registered
18 Posts
As was suggested above I'd set up a quote, any insurance company or comparison website will do. When your searching for cars all you need to do is change the car in the quote and it'll give prices for each car. I did this before buying my E46, using Admiral insurance I just changed the reg of the car and got a price comparison for each type of car. I may not give you the best insurance price fro your son but it will give you a direct comparison between cars...

·
Registered
719 Posts
LOL You're joking right? I think even a 1.1 litre Corsa will cost more than that to insure. I'm 20 (licence for 3 years, 2 years NCB, no accidents) and it's costing me £162 per month to insure my '98 316i which I said was worth £850. When I was 19 years old, it cost me £230 per month! :eek and that was the cheapest I found.

What about classic insurance? Although, you might have to look for an older BMW (e30 etc) and that he may not gain any NCB.
i insured my 323i when i was 21. had my licence for 3 years, 2 no claims, no accidents and it was £789 fully comp!

·
Registered
7 Posts
E36 compact 1.6 although I'm 21 and I have a years no claims bonus I'm still paying nearly £130 every month for it and that's fully comp! However if you pay it off in one year could be considerably less.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know that this is a BMW forum, but if you excuse me and I hope that you don't mind but what about the Volvo S40s?? -I've found this one, which looks good and my son likes... 2004 Volvo S40 2.0 Sport Lux 4dr Saloon but again, it's the insurance! My friend's son had one when he was first learning to drive and he told me that it was 'cheap' to insure. -But he didn't tell me how much!??

The search continues.....
Them Volvos are good. When I was car shopping, I actually looked at one and could see myself sitting in one. They are safe and not terribly slow. But then again this is from a young person who wouldn't mind sitting in a Rover 75 lol. Both were average when I was still searching for insurances (price wise)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Edit: +1 on the E36 316 Compact
The E36 316 Coupe comes out same group as the compact and arguably a prettier and more sporty car, so really depends whether a hatchback is required or not. Coupe spares are more plentiful in scrappers that may be a factor

Insurance prices without putting in your post code risk rating don't help anyone to compare folks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, a bmw as a first car is gunna cost you a lot! A friend of mine is paying 2200 for a 1.2 corsa and he is 19, clean licence, no claims. Im 20, and to insure a 320i for me with 3 years no claims would be over 2k. Luckily we have a business policy which works out ok. You could try and get a multi car policy off admiral, that might be cheaper if you are wanting a BMW, but like... volvo, bmw, merc, etc are all dear cars to fix, and like corsa's and saxo and stuff like that are 'typical' boy racers cars so they wack up the prices on them. When you narrow it down there isnt a lot of choice :/ But if you're gunna go with a bmw, id go for 316i :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you got a 316, and he looked after it and was wanting a little more speed you could do an engine swap, plenty of breakers about! If i was starting driving again i think that is what i would do. Obviously i would notify the insurance :sarcastic

1 - 20 of 56 Posts