BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have had to join again as wasn't active for past several years.
Wanted opinion/advice on BMW extended warranty- 520d automatic is nearly 3 yrs old soon, no issues until now, has done only about 15K. Should I get a BMW extended warranty or a Third party one( Warrantywise- has a cheaper quote) or have none at all?
Many thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pays your money and you takes your chances.

3 options it seems to me and a variation of a theme.

1. Full warranty with BMW giving you as much peace of mind as you can get. 3rd party warranty may get as good if not better cover for less money but and call me a cynic reckon most big jobs would be a battle come claim time;
2. Put the equivalent money aside each month so you have a fighting fund for any repairs, accepting may not be enough but a start;
3. Do nothing.

Guess a lot turns on how long keeping them car, anticipated mileage etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've extended my warranty direct with BMW - nothing has happened in the time I've had the warranty but it's good peace of mind. I've got the comprehensive warranty and it was £339 this year and I've done that for the past 2 years. My car is a 2014 435i with nearly 50000 miles on the clock. I've paid £678.00 total and if something like the turbo goes, that's going to cost much more!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check what is covered - many of the 3rd party warranties only cover the driveline (so the rear window lifter just replaced on my 4 series wouldn't have been covered). They also won't insist on genuine BMW spares or the work being done by a BMW dealer. If you're happy with that then it will be cheaper. Like all insurance, it's a gamble. Personally I go for the BMW cover, but that's my choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've extended my warranty direct with BMW - nothing has happened in the time I've had the warranty but it's good peace of mind. I've got the comprehensive warranty and it was £339 this year and I've done that for the past 2 years. My car is a 2014 435i with nearly 50000 miles on the clock. I've paid £678.00 total and if something like the turbo goes, that's going to cost much more!
Interesting that the comprehensive cover + breakdown cover for my 3 yr old car is £ 960/ yr with an excess of £250. I am leaning towards BMW cover as it will probably be less hassle!:unsure: but is more expensive. Warrantwise say you can take it to any dealer but will have to have approval from them first

·
Registered
53 Posts
They did try to charge more but I called up and compared them to the likes or warrantywise and they lowered the cost. Worth a try!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did try to charge more but I called up and compared them to the likes or warrantywise and they lowered the cost. Worth a try!
Thanks for the tip. Did you go through a BMW dealer or BMW directly?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
It's insurance - at the end of the day it's s*ds law that any bit that fails won't be covered, I quite like;
Put the equivalent money aside each month so you have a fighting fund for any repairs, accepting may not be enough but a start;
Alternatively if you have a good cash flow, just cover anything yourself, save the premiums - which is just a variation on the above really!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts