BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum or at least writing. This may have come up before, but if anyone can advise would really appreciated.
I have a connection issue with the fuse board and the B+ cable, it’s been a re-call in the Usa/Japan/Canada but unfortunately not here in the UK.
In the last 3 months the car has started to develop the symptoms of the faulty connection of the B+ cable to the fuse board. (3 times in 3 months) I have come back to my car and pressed the open door button, but nothing apart from the alarm stats going off. I can gain aces to the driver’s door by using the manual key .I put the key into ignition slot and press the button and there is nothing, no electrics at all. But once I wiggle the red B+ cable that sits behind the fuse board it all comes back to life , although has only happened a couple of times in the last few months I may get worse and as It may even cut out whilst driving I am getting a little worried.

I have read some of the American post who say there was a re-call and some that repaired the issue themselves but buying a new fuse board and B+ cable . I know the job is very difficult taking our seats ect but some people mention about replacing the fuse board and cut the new B+ cable and attached it to the cut old one.
So any idea if I should peruse BMW or go via Vosa .

Any idea what the parts would cost and try to do it myself ?

Many thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I feel your pain as I had the exact same issue.

Its not a recall in UK unfortunately.

Complete power cut and a faint alarm at the rear. Lucky for me it happened a few times while parked. I called RAC 1st time and by the time they arrived the car was fine.

Sjak92 maybe the best person for this. I approached him and pointed out the fault.

Unless you have full BMW service history it would be hard to get BMW to repair this but Sjack92 did get large BMW contribution.

My BMW service stopped about 2 years ago and when I approach BMW for contrition they politely told me to F-off.

The replacement of the junction box and B+ Cable is about £1500 :jaw-dropping.

There is another member on this forum called LITANY who is based in Southampton and you dont seem that far away. He will drive to yours for travel cost.

I paid him 10% of this cost and he repaired my car. He spent 3 hours on my drive stripping out the junction and did some modification.

Its been few months now and the car has not repeated the issue or caught fire :thumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sayekm.

Many thanks for the quick response

I was really shocked at the cost that BMW (£1500) tried to charge you for what is obviously a major fault across certain cars either here or abroad.

As I am new to the forum or at least making a contribution, how may I get hold of LITANY to see if he can help in anyway? .

Once again may thanks for your help it’s really appreciated

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If you looked at my thread, you would have seen that BMW will now fix this free of charge. All the steps are listed in my thread to achieve this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep . did it myself . went into bmw saturday and they said no re-call , but would do it for a price . Didnt bother going down that raod as it took 90 minutes and £15 fuse board and £12 cable , done and dusted , but thanks again for your help .

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Litany carried out a repair on mine. just under a year and no issues

I dont mind doing a bit of DIY on the car such as service and brakes. Was able to replace a fuel injector on the car but too much electrical connection on the fusebox and was not brave enough to DIY

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
But i thought the original BMW repair was to replace the complete cable by removing the seats and carpet.
Is the repiar now just cut the end of the cable?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
That is correct, they only replace the end of the cable as there is plenty of slack at the end.

The biggest cost from BMW is the fact that they put in a completely new distribution box which accommodates the new improved connector and they chuck in all new fuses but that last part is worth pennies in all fairness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts