BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have a BMW 318i with the N43 engine. It turns out the Nox catalytic converter is clogged and the mechanic wants to remove it and weld a pipe in place. Will it work? How about the O2 and Nox sensors? I assume there will be a lot of errors, right?

Is there any way to fool the sensors?

Thank you greatly. Really appreciate your replies!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am curious how you plan to pass your MOT without a CAT.. or does this CAT have no effect on the emission?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, sayekm

I will be in Romania for the next year and here the MOT tests are pretty flexible so I don't think there will be any problem to pass them. I am aware of the moral problem of polluting more, and I plan to keep my car this way for 6 months at most, until I get the money for another OEM NOX catalytic converter. On the other hand, I barely do 7000 miles/year with the car so I don't really make a huge difference for the environment.

Have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
185 Posts
How does he know the NOX catalytic converter is 'clogged' ?

from what I've read before, it's a smaller cat located before the main cat, it supposed to be 'cleaned' or purged by the engine running itself at Lambda =1 , as opposed to the engine running slightly lean for emissions purposes, (which causes a build up of Nox within the Nox cat over time, the Nox sensor monitors the levels and tells the engine to run either lean or Lambda = 1, to suit.

What's the actual problem with the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts