BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW E61 530D 2004 bad fuel consumption

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Js635d 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have a BMW E61 530D 2004 with a bad fuel consumption. On highway I can only get it to 12,6km/l ( 29,6mpg )
If I look on different forums i can see it should be around 35mpg on highways. Its is a chipped 530d but I have a friend with a chipped 530d e39 with 32 mpg and a friend with a chipped 335d e91 with 42mpg.

I have changed both thermostats (i now have a fine temp), my DPF is fine, new air and fuel filter, my exhaust manifold is fine and I have cleaned the intake manifold

And now i´m lost on ideas... Hope you can help.
Thanks

#3 ·
Tyre pressures?

One daughter got a Vauxhall Corsa, before she took it over I checked everything, someone must have read that overpressurizing the tyres gave better mpg, however it felt skittish so checked, reduced to regular and they did the grip thing better. Looking it up later, there were Corsa forums extolling the virtues of overpressure tyres...

Conversely, under inflated tyres might drop mpg a little, but I would not go to the Corsa extremes on a decent car.

There is a section on here where folk have recorded their mpg.

Today local radio warned of police clampdown and speeding checks, so to the office and back totally legal, F10 535d and got 37mpg, might try for 40 by end of week... :)

I did have a remapped 730d Sport, the remap did improve the mpg.

#8 ·
What was it like before the remap? Also what is your driving style like, I know that I struggle to get the same mpg as others due to my driving style even in the same vehicle. I had a loan 118d and struggled to get 37mpg out of it and didn't think I was driving it hard and someone else used the same car on similar roads and got into the forties easily.
Cheers
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.