BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I experience vibration in the steering wheel when I brake at high (70mph) and low speed at (40).These are the things I have changed: I've changed the front and rear discs and pads (ATE discs not cheap).Full wheel alignment, brand new music michelin tyres primacy 4,even I’ve taken the abs fuse out to see if the and is playing up but it was still vibrating the same way.Lower suspension arms both changed. I have no clue what could cause it.I suspect the wheel hub bearing may be the problem!?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would be noisy surely. Jack it up. Give it a spin and listen, obviously check for play! Is it possible you have a buckled wheel. Only a slight kerb knock is enough to put them out of true! Pot hole even. Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be noisy surely. Jack it up. Give it a spin and listen, obviously check for play! Is it possible you have a buckled wheel. Only a slight kerb knock is enough to put them out of true! Pot hole even. Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted.
All wheels have been checked and blananced with brand new tyres on.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Could still be something like a warped disc. I've had new disks that were far from true. Vendor swapped them out no quibble for good ones but sometimes these things just happen.
Even something like pads getting glazed from over-enthusiastic bedding in can cause vibration and juddering. It can be that a disc can pass QA at the factory but the first time it gets properly hot in normal use it warps due to issues in the original steel manufacture. The fact that you get the vibes at two distinct speeds suggests a resonance with the wheel rotation at those speeds.
Trick then is to find out what is resonating with what. It can be a combination of factors such as a glazed patch on a disk interacting with a worn bushing. Unfortunately there is no easy solution other than to start from the bottom and work up. Have the rims checked, wheel bearings, bushes and mounts, tyre balance and so on. Alternatively, live with it for a bit and see if things change as the tyres wear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the above comment.

I had the same issue though (when braking from 50-70 MPH the steering wheel was really shaky, I had to hold it firmly). After changing the brake discs and the pads, all the vibrations disappeared. With this occasion I discovered that the previous owner fitted wrong discs size in the front, but that wasn’t the cause of those vibrations in the steering wheel, as these started not long before changing them. My old discs were pretty worn to be fair, specially on the inside.

I found on eBay a complete set (4 brake discs, pads and sensors) for £215 (less than $300) which is reasonable.

My car is a BMW E60 520d.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same issue. After changing the brake discs and the pads, all the vibrations disappeared. With this occasion I discovered that the previous owner fitted wrong discs size in the front, but that wasn’t the cause of those vibrations in the steering wheel. My old discs were pretty worn to be fair, specially on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I mentioned previously, I have changed all the discs around. They are the right size.Right after I changed the discs it wasn't vibrating for about 10-14 days and then same gin.I bought quality discs ATF at the front and Bosch in the rear. I thing is will buy the whole elements of the suspension and change them all. It's just weird I had enough.
Thank you for you lr comment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could still be something like a warped disc. I've had new disks that were far from true. Vendor swapped them out no quibble for good ones but sometimes these things just happen.
Even something like pads getting glazed from over-enthusiastic bedding in can cause vibration and juddering. It can be that a disc can pass QA at the factory but the first time it gets properly hot in normal use it warps due to issues in the original steel manufacture. The fact that you get the vibes at two distinct speeds suggests a resonance with the wheel rotation at those speeds.
Trick then is to find out what is resonating with what. It can be a combination of factors such as a glazed patch on a disk interacting with a worn bushing. Unfortunately there is no easy solution other than to start from the bottom and work up. Have the rims checked, wheel bearings, bushes and mounts, tyre balance and so on. Alternatively, live with it for a bit and see if things change as the tyres wear.
That was very detailed and useful advice all in one.Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts