BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Since i buy the car, i have a problem with can modules, but today the car went to limp mode, so i want to figure it out what's wrong.
CAR: 2003 BMW e60 530i - M54B30
My error codes after limp mode:
28DD - DME: Air mass system - Existent
28AE - DME: Torque limitation: Monitoring - Existent
5F77 - DSC: Engine management: Interface - Existent
D904 - CAS: K-CAN line fault - Existent
D907 - CAS: K-CAN communication fault - Not Existent
E584 - KBM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E587 - KBM: K-CAN communication fault - Not Existent
9C77 - IHKA: Auxiliary-water pump - Existent
E244 - SZM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E2C4 - CON: K-CAN line fault - Existent
9E5C - SMFA: Rapid heating area: cushion - Not Existent
E444 - SMFA: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E484 - SMBF: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E184 - CD/ M-ASK/CCC/RAD2/CHAMP-GW: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
FFF2 - MOSTSYS: MOST ring break - Unknown
Codes after deleting:
E504
- LM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
D904 - CAS: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E584 - KBM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
9C77 - IHKA: Auxiliary-water pump - Existent
E244 - SZM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E2C4 - CON: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E444 - SMFA: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E484 - SMBF: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent

I already tried:
  • Cleaning ICV, Throttle Body. Re do and cleaning plug connections. Adapt Throttle Body.
  • Replaced SGM, LM to LM2, DME, CAS
  • Redo plugs in SMFA,SMBF, SZM, M-ASK
  • Replaced MPM
  • I tried to disconnect SMFA,SMBF and check, but nothing changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The question is: What can i try? I think probably the KBM is the problem, but everything works fine, so i don't know where i need to start.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You need to find what components communicate on K-can and what colour k-can high and low wiring is to start tracing. You could have a module fault that’s dragging the bus down or a wiring issue somewhere. There are wire splices in places where several wires join to go off around the car. Ideally you need to scope the bus line but you can do some basic testing with a multimeter on ohms as all modules will have a terminating resistor. Can’t quite recall what the readings should be as it’s been a while since I played with bus but 120ohms springs to mind

does ISTA have can bus test pattern on it to narrow down the search?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to find what components communicate on K-can and what colour k-can high and low wiring is to start tracing. You could have a module fault that’s dragging the bus down or a wiring issue somewhere. There are wire splices in places where several wires join to go off around the car. Ideally you need to scope the bus line but you can do some basic testing with a multimeter on ohms as all modules will have a terminating resistor. Can’t quite recall what the readings should be as it’s been a while since I played with bus but 120ohms springs to mind

If ISTA calculate test plans, only shows (after the delete of dme codes) the "System Analysis - CAN/FlexRay/Ethernet: Physical bus fault" option, but this plan just show me de codes and told me, to check plugs and wires, but everything seems to be OK, every module can perform "call up ECU functions" , and sometimes throw MOST System Analysis, but i can't perform that test, because i only have k+d can kable, i don't have ICOM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I tried to disconnect seat modules again but nothing changed, so i continue with szm i think. Where can i find terminating resistors?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all, i disconnected SZM module, and measure CAN L and H between ground, and its 4,6 VDC, i think this is not good, and if i want to measure resistance between the two line, i can't. I think there is a disruption somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First of all, i disconnected SZM module, and measure CAN L and H between ground, and its 4,6 VDC, i think this is not good, and if i want to measure resistance between the two line, i can't. I think there is a disruption somewhere.
4,6 on CAN H between G; and 4,6 CAN L between G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reconnected szm, IHK and M-ASK, but the problem is still here.Only the kbm and the cas have communication fault, the other just have line fault. That means the connection between KBM and CAS is bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any updates on this issue? I am having similar issues. I noticed that when I test the individual ECUs with ISTA the values are fliping on and off. For instance, if I call the ECU function in ISTA and select diagnosis I can read the voltage or other values, but it will flip from 12v to unknown back and forth. Is this the case for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts