BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FIXED bmw e60 2.0 diesel crankshaft signal incorrect fault 3e91

Hi looking for help with a crankshaft signal incorrect fault on my e60 520d with the n47 engine,i just replaced all 3 chains on the rear of the engine as they was rattling,all correct tools used to adjust timing and refitted engine,car now starts but cranks longer before it will start,once running it sounds great and idles well,scanned the car with DIS and it has fault code 3e91 which is incorrect crankshaft signal which explains why its harder to start,thinking the timing may be incorrect I removed the engine again stripped it down to recheck cam/crank timing and its spot on,i did not have the fault before I changed the chains,could it just be a faulty crank sensor thet may have just decided to give up as it was disturbed or have I not done something correct/im pulling my hair out so any help would be great
regards steve

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
A wrong signal from the crank sensor which would be based on the signal from the cam sensor. Is the cam sensor installed/working properly. Don't think there are any other position sensors on the N47 engine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,cam sensor is installed correctly and wiring is all good,DIS only gives a code for the crank sensor,DIS also says cam and crank sensor sync NOT OK
cant understand why they are not synced together

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
180 degrees out ? crank and cam technically aligned so will run assuming the engine management has a way to detect two revolutions of the crank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a possibility that it could be 180 degrees out?im willing to try anything at this stage,any ideas on what determines the sync of the 2 sensors?and if it was 180 out would this affect the sync?or would they sync together no matter what position the cam or crank are in

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The crank rotates twice for each rotation of the cam shaft and it should not matter to the engine if the crank had turned a full rotation against the cam in the alignment process. Try disconnecting both sensors, cranking the engine (it won't start), disconnect the battery and the re-connect the sensors, reconnect battery and reset the error memory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi I done the exact procedure as you gave me and still same fault,if I disconnect the crank sensorcar dosent start so it must begiving some signal,tryed the same with the cam sensor and the car dosent start so it appears that both sensors are giving a signal but not with the right chronologigal sequence,,checked sychronization status with DIS and it says NO VALID CRANKSHAFT SIGNAL EMERGENCY OPERATION [60]
so is there any chance the timing could be 180 out? when the car starts after a fairly long crank it sounds healthy and revs cleanly and idles at 750 rpm,i worry my hair will be left on my pillow tonight if I cant get the answer

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I guess try a new crank sensor, give quarry motors in Sheffield a quick call and get them to send one out before they close, it is the same one for all the M47/57 and N47 engines. Can't see any other reason why it would not work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FIXED
finally got this e60 with the n47 engine fixed it was a faulty reluctor ring on the end of the crank behind the flywheel,this was removed to fit the chains but somehow got damaged in the process even though it looked in very good condition,so anyone doing there chains make sure this part is carefully removed and stored until its refitted,thanks to bimmerforums for all the members who helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts