BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

does anybody recommend different tyre pressures from the standard ones they have used that give a good balance of grip/traction and ride comfort.

The car is driven locally only i.e no motorway journeys and driven very heavy footed :thumbsup

The tyres I have on them are Dunlop tyres 255/35/18 and 225/40/18

The reason I ask is I find the ride a bit harsh and bumby. Currently I think I got 34psi upfront and 35psi in the rears.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
M Sport suspension is bone shaking.....You have stock tire sizes, and I would stick to the recommended pressures. You may want to explore different tire options for ride comfort. I hear the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics give you the best of both worlds.....stay away from the 1st generation run flats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my car. I finally settled for 34 fronts and 37 rear.. As this is my first Rear wheel drive car and I'm use to front, I tend to put the power on trough the bends, I found that with 38+ in the rear it tended to slide a bit too much for my liking. With my current setting it feels like its on rails but it can get a bit harsh on rough roads, If you are use to bmw's or rear wheel drive cars I would say 35 front 39 rear will be the best all round combo..

Have a try and let us know how you got on.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
just checked mine, had 37 pass front, 30 drivers front, then 36 and 37 rear, so put 33 fronts, 38 rears, and will see how she feels!
In the front wheel drives i always had i used to put 32 front and rears.
If i hadn't seen this thread i would have prob kept on doing the same!:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
just checked mine, had 37 pass front, 30 drivers front, then 36 and 37 rear, so put 33 fronts, 38 rears, and will see how she feels!
In the front wheel drives i always had i used to put 32 front and rears.
If i hadn't seen this thread i would have prob kept on doing the same!:thumbsup
Do you have a staggered set up? Because that's what we are talking about :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hi

does anybody recommend different tyre pressures from the standard ones they have used that give a good balance of grip/traction and ride comfort.

The car is driven locally only i.e no motorway journeys and driven very heavy footed :thumbsup

The tyres I have on them are Dunlop tyres 255/35/18 and 225/40/18

The reason I ask is I find the ride a bit harsh and bumby. Currently I think I got 34psi upfront and 35psi in the rears.

thanks in advance.
Hi Zigourney :D

I'm also on 255/35/18 and 225/40/18, Khumo's all around.
I don't think you can get away with the ride being bumpy due to the M Sport suspension,
but mine tramlines like crazy :eek I've had the bushes checked and retracked, its better but pretty much the same.
Do you suffer from this problem?

I have been recomended Michelin Pilot Sports and I see Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics have been tipped earlier in the thread.

My boss has a 330i clubsport and he religiously sticks to the
35psi front and 39psi rear, also tipped earlier in the thread,
with the aforementioned Michelin Pilot Sports and he loves the set up?

Obviously its a personal choice, you'll just have to try altering the
tyre pressures and monitoring the results.

good luck in finding your utopia :eek:ptimist

·
Registered
851 Posts
this thread has reminded me i needed to do mine! :)

just popped down the petrol station (50 yards down the road so tyres should still be nice and cool) and pumped mine up. Rears were on 37 and the front were on 32... put the rears onto 40 and the fronts on to 35.. gunna see if it makes much difference :thumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts

I don't think you can get away with the ride being bumpy due to the M Sport suspension,
but mine tramlines like crazy :eek I've had the bushes checked and retracked, its better but pretty much the same.
I have read up about this as a friends car suffered from this badly on rough roads, mine does the same but was no way as bad and changing the tyre pressure helped load so can live with it now.. It seams strange but changing you power steering pump sorted this problem out for him and other from postings to forums about the same problem, it seemed like it working when driven but it was causing the problem. He got the unit form ebay for about £60 and now it is fine

one of the post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=481780&highlight=steering+uneven+roads
there were other posts that said the same thing but cant find them at the moment :(

what ever you do let me know how you got on

·
Registered
84 Posts
i tried the tires 35/40psi today... feels better and its also seams to have made the twitchy rear end less noticeable (Trailing arm bushing need doing)

G

·
Call me crazy for doing this, but in the rear I got 44psi and in the front I got 40psi

I've got Bridgestone Potzena REO50A tyres

It feels awesome to me!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Call me crazy for doing this, but in the rear I got 44psi and in the front I got 40psi

I've got Bridgestone Potzena REO50A tyres

It feels awesome to me!
That seems like alot to me!

How long have you had your tires like that?

Are they 255's and 225's?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
With the BMW sports set up I would pump them up, run over a coin, and when you can tell heads or tails, they are just about right....:rofl

I always run them to stock +1 psi to help the inner edge wear. (You think that would make it worse, but it seems to help)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of useful posts here, you guys are right, its about testing a few combinations. I will try a few different combinations and post back.

I will start from the beginning from recommended stock and work my way up then down again.

In the winter I always knock the pressure down a couple of psi's below stock to give me a little more traction in the wet/ice but now that its summer :jaw-dropping I will try stock plus figures rather than below stock first.

cheers all :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Do you have a staggered set up? Because that's what we are talking about :thumbsup
what do you meen staggered set up? mine has sport suspension, with mv1 wheels, 255 35 18 rears 225 40 18 fronts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

good luck in finding your utopia :eek:ptimist

Hi,

what is tramlining?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
tramlining is where your front wheels follow all the dips and cambers in the road...trying to pull the steering wheel out of your hands.
worse on cars with wide front tyres with stiff sidewalls.
the problem is made worse if your front suspension geometry is out
hth :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I think I have noticed that a couple of times, is it more apparent at low speeds i.e 5- 20 mph?

I do mostly local driving and have noticed that a couple of times on bumpy roads, but its not so bad that I have to fight with the steering wheel but I know what you mean by the steering wheel goes either direction sometimes with the bumps of the road and it needs correcting/counter steering.

its not anything to worry about is it? is it a fault with the car/steering mechanism? I just that its the bad road surface doing that :confused

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.