BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would post up a how to on my e46 bush install
first of all i raised the car by putting it on my home made ramps for lowered bmw's!, as you can see i lifted the bonnet so that more light flooded the engine bay, you don't need to do this! but i like it that way.

working underneith i started to take off the plastic under tray by first pulling out he plastic gromets at the front (3 of), then the screws at the back and sides (7 of),

below is a picture of a bush attached to the car. held in place with a metal u clamp fixed by 2 13mm nuts on each 1!
Remove these to gain access to the bush

now the 2 bushes have been removed you can see the bar hanging down(and the duct tape spacer i used till my bushes arrived

These are the new bushes next to the old 1s. polycarb bushes! mmmmmmmm

Slip the new bushes on and tighten up

then put every thing back in the revearse order of removal!
Hope you liked the how to?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice guide,Thankyou

Those ramps though...how do you know you've gone far up enough?....looks very easy to go over the top :eek
because they are flat, you roll up each 1 at a time, count 6 and your on the top, the boards are 1 1/2" thick and believe it or not the low profile tyre stuggles to get over the end stop if you are careful:thumbsup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Vauxfan

Vauxfan- you seem to be posting a how to about everything i'm doing to my car only about a week earlier than me! I'll be doing the rear subframe bushes in the next few weeks so if you wouldn't mind doing that next :lol
Seriously though, i've just changed my ARB bushes at the front and i noticed the bar itself was in a hell of a state with rust, i put it into a local place and got it shot blasted and plastic coated in silver for 10 quid before fitting. This leaves a smooth surface that is a lot kinder to the bushes.

Thanks again for the how to's. :thumbsup

Jim.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vauxfan- you seem to be posting a how to about everything i'm doing to my car only about a week earlier than me! I'll be doing the rear subframe bushes in the next few weeks so if you wouldn't mind doing that next :lol
Seriously though, i've just changed my ARB bushes at the front and i noticed the bar itself was in a hell of a state with rust, i put it into a local place and got it shot blasted and plastic coated in silver for 10 quid before fitting. This leaves a smooth surface that is a lot kinder to the bushes.

Thanks again for the how to's. :thumbsup

Jim.
thanks mate, glad you like it:thumbsup, hope you can do a how to for the rears,,,,,, £10 for blasting and plastic coating;)
How have you found it now? i think it turns in with a lot less lean, defo worth doing for half hours work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got advisaries on my bushes in my MOT in November... after seeing how easy it is to do, im gonna get some powerflex bushes and DIY it...

My question though is this... I understand my tracking is probably out, but could worn bushes affect how the car steers.... mine is pulling to the left contantly, and its annoying, just wondering if fixing the bushes will help this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
just found out that its my wishbone bushes that are causing the veering, will change those, and change my arb ones whilst im at it :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too would like to ask that? Do the Powerflex Poly Bushes split to go around the bar, or does the bar need to be removed completely for the bushes to slide on?

Looking at realoem.com it looks like the bar is attached to the drop links on either side, then attached to the bodywork with the Bushes & Brackets.

I am looking at changing the ABR Bushes and the drop links anyway, but was hoping someone clarify if the poly bushes split to go around the bar or not. Please?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts