BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frownfew questions regarding my bm:frown

1) when i hit the gas pedal i leave a cloud of black smoke behind me, the harder i push it the bigger the cloud, when i mean cloud i really mean a cloud, car is always serviced on time at bmw, has full bm history, it is a M47N engine, the engine is a new unit about 20k ago as the old one was totalled from the swirl flap prob, its had a new engine, injectors, turbo clutch, engine mounts etc etc, £13000 worth of bills from bmw for work (got it under warranty except for 2k labour) i have had the turbo breather changed to no avail, it has been remapped also! does anyone else experience this? is it a problem as i am extremely worried about the engine going pop again, so i drive the thing like an old tart now!!
2) i have heard that the egr value gets all gunged up afetr a short amount of driving and causes extra fumes to go into the inlet manifold causing the smoky cloud? is the true? and is there a way of stopping this egr value? and are there any bad side affects?

sorry for my extra long questions
any help would be much appreciated:)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You won't be able to disable the EGR valve on your car without flagging a engine management light up, you could restrict the amount of EG going in though by fitting a restrictor like this
View attachment 1898

The EGR valve does get bunged up if driven on lots of short journeys like you mention and should be cleaned out, otherwise it may be looking like this
View attachment 1899

Having a bad MAF can also cause excess smoke, will also cause sluggish performance at low revs, disconnecting it and driving the car with the plug left off will soon tell you if yours is knackered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts