BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I came to this forum looking for help. I am in very tough times. College student, broke, and life has been tough overall. Long story short, I love BMWs so i am always going to drive a bmw. I bought a 2003 BMW 530i, quite beat up. I did all I could at first. Cleaned up the car, (it was nasty in there) do any small repairs I can myself regarding the interior. The car obviously had problems. I changed the ignition coils and spark plugs, and the engine run very smooth after that. I also had a pulsation during braking, so I changed the rotors and brake pads, which fixed that. Now the car breaks smooth like butter. Another thing I can't figure out is a vacuum leak. I know it is a vacuum leak, I looked through the forums and found people with similar symptoms. My car when its cold, it runs quite rough. Also when in park, you can feel sometype of misfire. When I go to reverse the RPMs will drop very low, before I changed the ignition coils and spark plugs the car had stalled in reverse. When I go from reverse to D the rpms will also drop very low, almost stalling the car. I have a check engine light, and went to autozone to get the codes, and oh my god, I almost fell on the ground. I will list the check engine light codes, and hopefully someone can tell me what I should do next. Keep in mind, i borrow tools to work on my car, I am very broke, and I hope god helps me..

Check Engine Light Codes:
P0174: System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P0313: Misfire Detected with Low Fuel
P0300: Random Misfire Detected
P1347: Misfire Cylinder 3 with Fuel Cut-Off
P1351: Misfire Cylinder 5 with Fuel Cut-Off
P1083: Fuel Control Limit Mixture too Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1085: Fuel Control Limit Mixture too Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1345: Misfire Cylinder 2 with Fuel Cut-Off
P0492: Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 2)
P0491: Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 1)
P0171: System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0313: Misfire Detected with Low Fuel
P0300: Random Misfire Detected

For anyone that's just going to put me down and tell me to get a new car, sorry man I am learning to work on car slowly and trying to get new tools. So I can work on my car by myself. Thank you for your time, and I hope I can get some help!!

·
Super Moderator
3,676 Posts
All but secondary air system codes can be caused by very common air/vacuum leak. (That secondary air system will not cause any running errors but will make emissions a bit higher before cats have warmed up.)

Common vacuum leak causes on M54 engine:
*Rubber boots between MAF and throttle valve
*Crankcase ventilation system
*Rubber plugs at the rear end of intake manifold
*DISA valve

·
Registered
11 Posts
same thing happened to me with bmw e39 528i after replacing spark plug and valve cover gasket i accidentally swap the oxygen sensor socket fwd to aft and aft to fwd while cleaning the oil
did you touch the socket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts