BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all,

I have 2 main issues with my car at the moment.

1 being a fair amount of what looks like bluish smoke coming out of the oil filler cap. Now I know this normally means crank case pressure is to high however I however oil breather is pretty much a new genuine part Oil is Castrol 5w-30 I believe. I just want to see if anyone's had any similar problems?

I also have had 2 bottom hoses split around the seal that connects to the thermostat im now on hose number 3. However I think the oil that is gathering in the little bit next to the oil filler cap is spilling onto the hose so this could be the issue? I have not had the block tested and from what I can see there is no oil in the coolant.

please ask any more questions I may have missed some information.

Thoughts please?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
This might just be a loose filler cap. IIRC there is a captive washer with a tether that holds the filler cap on some of these. Sometimes the captive washer either gets deformed or unseated preventing the cap from sealing properly. Fix (or remove) the captive ring so the cap seats correctly and you should be good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I don't understand what you mean are you saying that the oil filler cap could just be old and faulty and need replacing? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do ill order one from BMW today also would hot oil cause a radiator hose to split if it was dripping on it from the outside? If I heated it up enough it would expand wouldn't it?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Having the coolant hoses immersed in oil could weaken them. Then again this is an E39 so we're talking about a 15 year old car. Rubber gets old.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't go as far to say they were soaked but may have bit dropping on where it has split also the one previous to the one I had on now was a new BMW part and lasted 8 weeks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes well I picked the part up from snows bmw in Portsmouth and I was in London when it split so had to go to another main dealer I will be taking the part back in to snows this week to see what they want to do about it I just want to get to the route cause of why 2 hoses have split? It's either crankcase pressure is getting into cooling system which means head gasket has gone or the oil is leaking into the hose. Either way I have no coolant in my oil no white gunk yet and I haven't noticed any oil in coolant it's still crystal blue so? I'm puzzled

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have just checked my new bottom hose fitted on Saturday and it's already started to expand around the connection so it's either 3 naff hoses from BMW or there's something i don't know about

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a little update the oil coming out of the filler cap was a bad filler cap it has stopped the problem however what I thought was oil spooling onto the hose was actually diesel the oil return pipe as they call it has split as for the bottom hose I have a collapsed engine mount on the offside and believe a mixture of diesel and this vibrating and pulling at the hose is causing the issue. I will have to let you know how's get on but this could be the issue according to a bmw technician I might invest in a new expansion tank cap just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts