BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys i have hit a problem, and its with the ews of all things.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but i posted i in the members project area as well cos i wasnt sure what was best.

The engine and wiring in the car was orginally from a 1992 325i and had all orginal looms, but after painting the inside of the car i thought the wiring loom was scruffy so i swapped it for the loom from my 1997 318is that i am breaking, minus the engine loom and ecu which is the 1992 car one.

Now it is all correctly plugged in but the car does not start it turns over but doesnt fire and the word code has appeared on the speedo display. The 1997 loom has ews (all the parts are plugged in and present) and the 1992 didnt. We are using the keys and igntion barrel from the 1992 loom, is this the wrong way of going about doing it? (for the time being we plugged in the transponder ariel and held the 318is key next to it to get it turn over).

I know this is a grey area but any help is greatly recieved,
cheers lloydie

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mate all secured in place

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Lloydie, I had to change my whole steering column over due to the barrel casings being different. The EWS barrel will not mount into your 92:thumbsup

So you can actually get the car started but you are having to simulate the key being put through the transponder ring, is that correct:thumbsup

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if i am confusing people, i try and clear up what i said.
The car was orginally running 1992 325i engine and vehicle loom (non ews)and ran fine no probs at all. The vehicle loom was scruffy so i replaced it with the vehicle loom from my 1997 318is which had ews.

I fitted the vehicle loom for the 1997 car, all plugged in fine into engine loom and everything is connected. We have left the 1992 wiring looms igntion barrel and keys on the car and plugged this into the 1997 loom.

The car turns over but refuses to start and run. The speedo display now reads "code" and our diagnostic scanner permantley shws the ecu having the fault code "anti theft alarm signal". We plugged the key transponder aireal (black round ring that sits round igntion barrel) into the small black ews box under the steering column and held the key from the 1997 car next to it in the hope the ews mite reconise the key while the vehicle wiring was connected to the 1992 igntion barrel and the car might start. If this had worked i would have just swapped the igntion barrels over, but it hasnt and i am stuck.

I tried the ews bypass (dodgy method) and the car still does not start, any ideas?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
So you're not getting a spark at the plugs or a power feed at the fuel pump? :thumbsup

I have a key at the moment that has lost sync with the EWS system. When I try to use it the ignition lights etc come on but there is no cranking but you mention that yours IS turning over?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats what confused me. The fuel pump is definatley working, as i checked and got covered in fuel:mad but there is no spark and it just cranks over. The car the 1997 wiring was in ran fine beofre no issuses at all.

Ah, shit. The 1997 wiring loom had an obc, but i traced all the wires out from the vehicle loom as it is unneeded for rallying. Could this cause the issue?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in urgent need of help for this problem so whoever gives me the info that gets the car started will be given a 8 pack of whatever drink they want hand deliveird at the ultimate bmw show

Sound like an incentive:D:D....

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
I am in urgent need of help for this problem so whoever gives me the info that gets the car started will be given a 8 pack of whatever drink they want hand deliveird at the ultimate bmw show

Sound like an incentive:D:D....
LLOYDIE needs some help!!!!!!....anyone

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you have the loom with EWS fitted and the EWS module is fitted, I assume the car only turns over when you have the transponder fitted and holding the key next to it. Or have you shorted out the contacts on the EWS module.
My thoughts (by no means certain) are that as the DME (ecu) you have fitted is from a non EWS system and it's giving a code of 'anti theft signal', it may be that it's now wired to get a signal from the EWS unit which it doesn't recognise, because previously it got it's signal from the OBC or general module, which I think is how it worked pre-EWS.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I think the contacts have been modified as it should not turn over at all if it is an EWS fault

What year was the engine that was put in? What year car have you fitted it to?

PS Have Lloydie's fingers stopped working!!!:frown

No need for other members to BUMP threads, we get here as soon as we can:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
OBC will not affect the starting of the car, I am not using the M3 one and now using a 328 loom and no issues there.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A20 RYM, Isn't your setup minimum 1995 so you have EWS anyway in which case the OBC doesn't have any effect.

This is an extract of the EWS document. I know it says from 1993 but these things are often inaccurate if they relate to the US

Drive Away Protection
The first version of Drive Away Protection was installed on production vehicles 9/93
through 12/93.
Purpose of The System
The purpose of the Drive Away Protection system was to reduce vehicle theft as mandated
by the European Insurance Commission to combat the high theft rate in European
Countries.
This first version of the Drive Away Protection System added a circuit from the General
Module to the DME. The added circuit was spliced into the existing code function from the
Board Computer (BC) to the DME.
The components of the Drive Away Protection System are:
• Door Lock Switch
• General Module
• Board Computer
• DME
System Components
Door Lock Switch
The door lock switch provides a 12V (High) signal to the GM when the vehicle is locked from
the outside. The switch also provides a Low signal to the GM when the vehicle is unlocked.
General Module
The GM receives the lock and unlock signals from the door lock switch and signals the
DME with a 12V High signal when the vehicle is double locked or with a Low signal when
this vehicle is unlocked.
Board Computer
The Board Computer (BC) through its’ code function provides a High signal to the DME to
disallow vehicle operation or a Low signal to allow vehicle operation.
DME
The DME looks for a High/Low signal from the BC or GM and dependent on the signal, it
will either allow or prevent vehicle operation.

As I say, I'm not sure but why would a DME from a non EWS system give an anti theft code if it wasn't looking to be given an ok to start signal?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think gildersol has pretty much hit the nail on the head, the car will only turn over when the key is held next to the transponder although it has once or twice turned over with the key not held next to the transponder aireal:confused:confused.

325i Engine from 1992 non ews
vehicle wiring loom from 1997 318is ews

So i think we diagnosed the problem, now we just need to solve it.

I did try the frowned upon method earlier, that just got the car to turn over

Also have noticed there is a cut wire on the ews yellow box plug, it is green and black and is earth when atteming to start car. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not entirley sure what you mean when you say have the contacts been modified A20RYM, do you mean spliced joined etc or something else:confused

A big thanks for everyone chipping in to help at the mo, greatly appreciated id be buggered without you lot:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If we are on the right track, the wire which carries the signal goes through pin 7 of the plug I mentioned earlier.
If the diagrams I have are accurate the wiring should be as follows:

1992 engine loom side of plug - black/violet wire from DME
1992 interior loom side of plug - black/violet wire to OBC/GM

1997 engine loom side of plug - black/violet wire from DME
1997 interior loom side of plug - green wire to EWS module

If the EWS is fitted, I can't understand how it would turn over 'a couple of times' without the key to trigger the EWS:confused

1 - 20 of 39 Posts