BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early e36's had a comfort relay that controls power to the windows and sunroof, it is listed as being fitted up till 09/1994, after this the windows and sunroof are controlled entirely by the ZKE module.

If your windows and sunroof have packed up completely or intermittently work then it will most likely be due to the comfort relay.

The relay is located in the auxiliary relay panel that is behind the glove box, it is a blue relay and can be seen in the picture below.

You now have 2 choices if you want to fix the operation of your windows, buy a new one, (old part number 61358353090, now superseded) new part number 61358364690, price £18 or repair the one you've got.

To repair the one you have you will need to remove the blue plastic top from the relay, using a small screwdriver pry the sides of the top gently away from the black plastic base and slide the cover up and off.

Now with the top cover off if you look closely at the circuit board you should see a soldered joint that has a crack around it, it is this that is probably causing you your problems.

Grab out your soldering iron and resolder the joint, it would be best to add more than was originally there as it's a common failure.

After your handy work it should look like the picture below and is ready for refitting.

Pay attention to the way the top goes on as it will only go on one way. With the relay back in place you should now have windows and a sunroof that works :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 1998 Euro and windows are controlled by zke module.

My driver window is what is called "ïnching"
It just goes 1 inch at a time I press the switch.
I already verified the windows motor and any other wiring. everything looks to be ok.
no that I know my car does not have confort relay, what is the next step? is there a way to fix that problem with my driver window?:confused:confused:confused:confused

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was working with this panel last night. I pressed the "Memo" button and after a while this panel turned off like this and didn't turn on so far. another problem came up simultaneously, the rear window drivers didn't work from when the panel turned off. I don't where the problem is... dose anyone know?!!!!
img.php?image=6017_02042013762_b600.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
316i 1995 hutch

Hi Thanks a lot for all your help. I have to correct you if am allow to: my BMW is a 1995 model and it has a comfort relay.:
I have managed to repair the relay myself. Your advice pointed me to the right spot.
Much appreciated.

JCAG50

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sunroof e36 318is 1992

If my windows work but sunroof doesn't could it be my comfort relay, and how would I know if my sunroof has been replaced by a blanking plate

TIA ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked!

Digging up an old thread, but just to say this worked for me just now on our raggedy old 320i. Exactly the contact you pointed out on the comfort relay. I'm usually toss at soldering too but this actually worked for me haha.

Now just to see if i can clean up a couple of the switches, two work fine but two are verging on shot.

Thanks OP!

IMG_2889.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts