BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently bought some alloys (after market) not sure on brand, anyway the guys said it came of a 316 99 BMW. I have tried to fit it to my 96 320i and it does not fit, because the centre whole is too small. I was wanted to check if all the e36 bmw's had the same sizes or not.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
hi there :)
afaik all 3 series centre bores are the same size..in fact all bm's except the e39 5 series (or was it the e34?)
anyway...i'm guessing the centre bore is too large on the wheels? (and not the hubs)
if so you will need some hubcentric rings that centre up the wheels on your hub...these are available on ebay or your local wheel suppliers.
hth :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi

I recently bought some alloys (after market) not sure on brand, anyway the guys said it came of a 316 99 BMW. I have tried to fit it to my 96 320i and it does not fit, because the centre whole is too small. I was wanted to check if all the e36 bmw's had the same sizes or not.

thanks in advance

All E36 centre bores are identical in size. It sounds like someone has misinformed you I'm afraid:frown

have a look in the back of the wheel for the ET number (E36 should be around the ET46 number) If it's low (ET15) then the wheels cam off of a 5 series. Then again, they may not be for any BMW:frown

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about it, can you post me a picture (Nice Close Up) of the hole from the back of the wheel please:thumbsup
Hi thanks for the replies guys, i don't think these are BMW ones, because the centre bore seems like nearly half the size of my current steel ones....so i guess they bleong to another car and the guy mislead me!!

I have attached the pics....it will be good to know what make and which car they belong too. thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Thanks for the pictures but I need one of JUST THE HOLE, From the back/inside of the wheel. Whilst you're at it can you take a picture of the hub too:thumbsup

What wheels have you got fitted to your car at the moment?

The reason for my questions is this...

Most after market wheels come with spigot rings that centralise the wheel to the hub. They are normally made of plastic but there are also metal ones that can corrode into the hole of the wheel. If they have been fitted to a vehicle that has a different bore size then it may be as simple as prying the ring out and getting replacements if required.

Another reason is if you have after market wheels on at the moment and the ring has stuck to the hub and you are trying to fit a direct fit wheel or wheel with a spigot ring already inside it then for obvious reasons it won't fit.

·
Registered
426 Posts
All BMWs have a centre bore of 72.6mm (diameter) except for E39 5 Series (95-2003, including the M5) which has 74.1mm centre bore.

No other manufacturer uses the BMW-esq 5 x 120mm PCD stud pattern, so you will find no doubt that the bolt holes dont match up.

As far as other cars go, Any 5 stud from other manufacturers have the following Bore Size (which may help with identifying what they came off)

Some toyota are 54.1mm,
MG ZT and Rover 75 (spot the difference) and Subaru are 56.1mm
Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW has 57.1mm,
Alfa Romeo has centre bore of 58.1mm,
Lexus, some Toyota and Renault is 60.1mm (renault vans are 71.2mm),
some Fords 63.4mm (Galaxy has 57.1mm as its a VW Sharan underneath,
Hondas are 64.1mm (Legend is 70.1mm),
All saab, some Citroens, Peugeot, Volvo and Vauxhall are 65.1mm (sintra is 70.3mm, Vivaro is 71.2mm as its a renault van basically),
Nissan are 66.1mm
Mercs are 66.6mm (must be devil worshippers)
Probe has 67.1mm as its a mazda 626 in disguise),
Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi and some Mazda have 67.1mm,
(54.1mm on the 323, 59.6mm on the MX6 and RX7),

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pictures but I need one of JUST THE HOLE, From the back/inside of the wheel. Whilst you're at it can you take a picture of the hub too:thumbsup

What wheels have you got fitted to your car at the moment?

The reason for my questions is this...

Most after market wheels come with spigot rings that centralise the wheel to the hub. They are normally made of plastic but there are also metal ones that can corrode into the hole of the wheel. If they have been fitted to a vehicle that has a different bore size then it may be as simple as prying the ring out and getting replacements if required.

Another reason is if you have after market wheels on at the moment and the ring has stuck to the hub and you are trying to fit a direct fit wheel or wheel with a spigot ring already inside it then for obvious reasons it won't fit.
hi here is the pics, thanks mate..the numbers written on it are 7.5jx16chx60 :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
My crap attempt at displaying my concern but it does the job:lol

If the shown area is a ring then you will be able to prise it out from the inside of the wheel using a screwdriver. If it is plastic then it will definitely be a spigot ring, they are sometimes metal too though:thumbsup

Please let me know how you get on with establishing if there is a ring in there before attempting to fit the wheel to the car:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's hard to tell but it appears there may be a spigot ring in the wheel:confused That will be a result if there is as all you will need to do is remove it:thumbsup
hmm....the guy at the tyre place said that centre hub hole is too small (signoficantly) and it did look like the orignal (steels) where much larger compared to this one....is it possible that it might before a e30 model instead of e36??

thnx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nope, E30 is 4 stud as far as I know.

Any chance that you could clean off the carbon dust from behind the wheel and photo the casting markings that are there (should be hidden behind all the carbon cack)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Nope, E30 is 4 stud as far as I know.

Correct unless it's an M3:thumbsup

A lot of tyre places do not know what a spigot ring is:frown

From the inside of the wheel tap the bit I've highlighted in my other post with a metal object. Is it metal or could it be plastic?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.