BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i am new here, as there isn't many answers on the web, so i joined.
The question is i want to buy an e36 with 2.5tds (m51d25) as i love the e36 and owned one 318i. Now i want to try something different. What should i watch out for when buying one, i've heard that the pumps are mostly worn, and the tds has problems starting cold/hot. What's your advice, from someone who owns it? And should i consider e34 or 39, rather then e36, and why?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a e36 td and a e39 TDS. The e39 I kept it until it had over three hundred thousand miles on it. Was a great car and the only part replaced on the engine was a water pump. There is a known hot starting issue with them but there is a relay you can easily fit which cured it on my e39. The e36 was a good car but was only a td and the bit extra power of the TDS is worth it. They are all old cars so buy purely on condition and rust will be your enemy now. The TDS engine was also used in the Vauxhall omega and Range Rover. the e36 handled nicely and the size of the car suited the power well. I did however prefer the e39 overall although it was not as sporty to drive but I have always been a five series man. I have also had an e34 but it was a petrol engined one. I think keep an open mind and see what you can find as think any one will be a rare old beast now. Finally if you go the e39 route you would be better getting the 530d which is a much more powerful power unit and more chance of finding one.
Cheers
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts